William Scheideler graduated with BSE degrees in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering from Duke University, and a PhD in electrical engineering from UC Berkeley. He then worked as a postdoctoral scholar in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at Stanford University. His research focuses on developing new materials and nanomanufacturing methods for high-performance printed and flexible devices, including low-power sensors and energy harvesting for hybrid electronics. He enjoys soccer, travel, cooking, and skiing.
3D nanomanufacturing; low-power sensors; flexible and wearable electronics; energy harvesting; wireless devices
- BSE, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Duke University 2013
- BSE, Biomedical Engineering, Duke University 2013
- PhD, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, UC Berkeley 2017
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- UC Berkeley EECS Department Chair’s Excellence Award
- Duke University George Sherrerd III Memorial Award in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Angier B. Duke Memorial Scholarship
- Reviewer for Advanced Materials, Adv. Electronic Materials, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Thin Solid Films, and IEEE Electron Device Letters.
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- A. Hamlin, Y. Ye, J. Huddy, M.D.S. Rahman, and W.J. Scheideler, "2D Transistors Rapidly Printed from the Crystalline Oxide Skin of Molten Indium," npj 2D Materials and Applications, 2022. DOI: 10.1038/s41699-022-00294-9
- J. E. Huddy, M.S. Rahman, A. Hamlin, Y. Ye, and W.J. Scheideler, "Transforming 3D-Printed Mesostructures into Multimodal Sensors with Nanoscale Conductive Metal Oxides," Cell Rep. Phys. Sci., 2022, DOI: 10.1016/j.xcrp.2022.100786.
- J.E. Huddy, Y. Ye, and W.J. Scheideler, "Eliminating the Perovskite Solar Cell Manufacturing Bottleneck via High-Speed Flexography," Adv. Mater. Technol., 2022, 2101282. DOI: 10.1002/admt.202101282
- N. Rolston, W.J. Scheideler, A.C. Flick, J.P. Chen, H. Elmaraghi, A. Sleugh, O. Zhao, M. Woodhouse, and R.H. Dauskardt. “Rapid Open-Air Fabrication of Perovskite Solar Modules,” Joule., 2020. DOI: 10.1016/j.joule.2020.11.001.
- W.J. Scheideler, N. Rolston, O. Zhao, J.B. Zhang, and R.H. Dauskardt, "Rapid Aqueous Spray Fabrication of Robust NiO: A Simple and Scalable Platform for Efficient Perovskite Solar Cells," Adv. Energy Mater., 2019, 1803600. DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201803600.
- W.J. Scheidelerand, V. Subramanian, "Printed Flexible and Transparent Electronics: Enhancing Low-Temperature Processed Metal Oxides with 0D and 1D Nanomaterials," Nanotechnology, 2019. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6528/ab1167.
- W.J. Scheideler, M. McPhail, R. Kumar, J. Smith, and V. Subramanian, "Scalable, High-Performance Printed InOx Transistors Enabled by UV-Annealed Printed High-k AlOxGate Dielectrics," ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2018, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b12895.
- A. Zeumault, W. Scheideler, and V. Subramanian, "Electrostatic Tuning of Spray-Deposited ZnO for Controlled Mobility Enhancement," Adv. Func. Mater, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201701021.
- W.J. Scheideler, R. Kumar, A. Zeumault, and V. Subramanian, "Low-Temperature-Processed Printed Metal Oxide Transistors Based on Pure Aqueous Inks," Adv. Func. Mater, 2017, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201606062.
- W. J. Scheideler, J. Smith, I. Deckman, A.C. Arias, and V. Subramanian, "A Robust, Gravure Printed, Silver Nanowire/Metal OxideHybrid Electrode for High-Throughput Patterned Transparent Conductors," J.Mater. Chem. C., 2016, vol. 4, no. 15, pp. 3248-3255, DOI: 10.1039/C5TC04364F.
- R. Kitsomboonloha, H. Kang, G. Grau, W.J. Scheideler, and V. Subramanian, "MHZ-Range Fully Printed High Performance Thin-Film Transistors by Using High-Resolution Gravure-Printed Lines," Adv. Electron. Mater., 2015, vol. 1, no. 12, DOI: 10.1002/aelm.201500155.
- W.J. Scheideler, J. Jang, M.A.U. Karim, R. Kitsomboonloha, A. Zeumault, and V. Subramanian, “Gravure Printed Sol–Gels on Flexible Glass: A Scalable Route to Additively Patterned Transparent Conductors,” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2015, vol. 7, no. 23, pp. 12679–12687, DOI: 10.1021/acsami.5b00183.
- A. Zeumault*, W. Scheideler*, G. Grau, J. Smith, and V. Subramanian, "Patterning of Solution-Processed, Indium-Free Oxide TFTs by Selective Spray Pyrolysis," Adv. Electron. Mater., 2015, DOI: 10.1002/aelm.201500326. (*Co-first Author)
- W.J. Scheideler and C.-H. Chen, “The minimum flow rate scaling of Taylor cone-jets issued from a nozzle,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 2014, vol. 104, no. 2, p. 024103, DOI:10.1063/1.4862263.
- C. Liu, Y. Xu, Y. Li, W. Scheideler, and T. Minari, “Critical Impact of Gate Dielectric Interfaces on the Contact Resistance of High-Performance Organic Field-Effect Transistors,” J. Phys. Chem. C, 2013, vol. 117, 2013, no. 23, pp. 12337-12345, DOI: 10.1021/jp4023844.