COVID-19 Information

Financial Aid & Loans

A variety of financial aid options are available to support your Dartmouth Engineering education. In addition to loans and external funding opportunities, we also offer a range of school-based support in the form of fellowships, scholarships, and research assistant positions.

Apply for Financial Aid

Who Should Apply?

  • BE applicants
  • MEng applicants
  • MEM applicants

Full-time BE students are eligible for need-based aid in the form of partial-tuition scholarships, hourly employment as teaching assistants or in other capacities, fellowships, and loans. Dartmouth students planning to complete BE and MS or BE and MEM requirements simultaneously should submit a BE program plan along with the MS or MEM application to be considered for "BE" aid for any portion of the program. The BE program plan is available through Banner Student.

MEng and MEM financial aid is need-based in the form of partial tuition scholarships capped at 40% for those who submit their financial aid materials when applying for admission. Late applications for financial aid may be accepted, but awards will be capped at 20% based on budget availability.

MS and PhD students are typically funded fully through research grants or fellowships and do not need to apply for financial aid.

Undergraduates pursuing the AB degree should apply for aid through Dartmouth's Undergraduate Admissions Office.

How to Apply

BE, MEng and MEM applicants should fill out the online PROFILE application form. Thayer's PROFILE number is 3355. PROFILE will process your information and provide us with a Financial Need Analysis Report to determine need-based aid.

Financial aid candidates must file as dependent and include parental information, except those who:

  • are married
  • have legal dependents other than a spouse
  • are an orphan or a ward of the state
  • have served in the military
  • are currently serving on active duty in the Armed Forces (for something other than training purposes).

Financial aid received for the first year does not necessarily carry over into the second year. Students planning to enroll in the MEng or MEM program, who will be at Thayer for more than one academic year, must re-file the PROFILE application.

Application Details

When filing the CSS PROFILE:

  • BE applicants should indicate their year in college as "5th or more undergrad."
  • MEng and MEM applicants should indicate their year in college as "1st year grad/prof." Aid is need-based and partial tuition scholarships are capped.
  • BE/MEM applicants should indicate their year in college as "5th or more undergrad." Candidates from Dartmouth who plan to work simultaneously on BE and MEM requirements should include parental information so that both BE and MEM level aid may be calculated. For the time a student is completing the BE requirements (generally 1 to 3 terms), Thayer will grant whichever aid is higher, BE or MEM.

Financial Aid Decisions

Dartmouth Engineering makes financial aid decisions as soon as possible after the results of the PROFILE Financial Need Analysis Report from the College Board are received.

Paid hourly employment as a teaching assistant may also be available for qualified students, and possibly required for those who accept Dartmouth Engineering's partial tuition scholarships.

Fellowship, Scholarship and Grant Programs

Endowed named scholarships and fellowships, established through the generosity of alumni, friends, foundations, and corporations, are awarded to engineering students with financial need who have demonstrated academic ability and show promise of contributing to the engineering profession.

Learn More

Student Loans

Federal financial aid is available to US citizens and permanent residents, provided they are enrolled at least half-time and making satisfactory academic progress in a degree program.

Dartmouth Student Loan Information

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed annually, after January 1st of the year in which you wish to enter the program and are enrolled.

Dartmouth's federal school code is:


Candace Potter

Candace Potter
Graduate Admissions & Financial Aid Administrator
Rm. 107, MacLean ESC
+1 (603) 646-3844