Stata Family Career Development Associate Professor of Engineering
Program Area Lead: Mechanical, Operations & Systems Engineering
Research Affiliate, Dept. of Aeronautics and Astronautics, MIT
Logistics and transportation; aviation; healthcare analytics; healthcare systems modeling; building energy analytics; systems optimization; game theory; data-driven and statistical modeling
- Bachelor of Technology, Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay 2005
- SM, Transportation, MIT 2007
- SM, Operations Research, MIT 2010
- PhD, Transportation Systems, MIT 2011
- Outstanding Paper Award in Air Transportation, INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Society 2019
- Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Award, National Science Foundation 2018
- Best Paper Award, 12th USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar 2017
- Pikarsky Award for Best PhD Dissertation in Science and Technology, Council of University Transportation Centers 2011
- Best Paper Award, 9th USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar 2011
- Graduate Research Award, Airport Cooperative Research Program 2010-2011
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, Anna Valicek Award for Original and Innovative Research in Aviation, AGIFORS 2010
- UPS Merit-based Fellowship, Center for Transportation and Logistics, MIT 2010-2011
- Presidential Fellowship, MIT 2005-2006
- President of India Gold Medal, IIT Bombay 2005
- Associate Editor of Transportation Science (2018–present)
- Standing Committee Member of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine on Aviation Economics and Forecasting – AV040
- Standing Committee Member of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine on Airfield and Airspace Capacity and Delay – AV060
- Member of the Advisory Board to INFORMS Vice President of Sections/Societies (Feb 2019–present)
- Secretary/Treasurer of the INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Society(Jan 2019–Dec 2020)
- Cluster Chair of the INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Society (Jan–Dec 2019)
- Chair of the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section (AAS) (Jan 2017–Dec 2018)
- Reviewer for several major journals including Management Science; Operations Research; Transportation Science; Computers and Operations Research; Annals of Operations Research; Production and Operations Management; European Journal of Operations Research; EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics; Interfaces; IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems; Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association; Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice; Transportation Research Part B: Methodological; Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies; Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review; European Economic Review; Contemporary Economic Policy; International Journal of Industrial Organization; Applied Economics Letters; Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews; Journal of Infrastructure Systems; Journal of Air Transport Management; European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research; Transport Reviews; and International Journal of Business Analytics
- Jacquillat, A., V. Vaze, and W. Wang (2022). Primary versus Secondary Infrastructure Capacity Allocation Mechanisms. European Journal of Operational Research, In Press, Journal Pre-proof.
- Yan, C., C. Barnhart, and V. Vaze (2022). Choice-Based Airline Schedule Design and Fleet Assignment: A Decomposition Approach. Transportation Science. In press.
- Palsule-Desai, O., V. Vaze, V., G. Li, and S. Gavirneni (2021). Service Delivery Strategies for Alleviating Pandemic Suffering While Maintaining Profitability. Service Science, 13(4), 205-226.
- Wei, K., V. Vaze, and A. Jacquillat (2021). Transit Planning Optimization under Ride-hailing Competition and Traffic Congestion. Transportation Science. Article in advance, 1-25.
- Sun, Y., U. Raghavan, V. Vaze, C. Hall, P. Doyle, S. Richard, and C. Wald (2021). Stochastic programming for outpatient scheduling with flexible inpatient exam accommodation. Health Care Management Science. 24(3), 460-481.
- Wei, K., V. Vaze, and A. Jacquillat (2020). Airline Timetable Development and Fleet Assignment Incorporating Passenger Choice. Transportation Science, 54(1), 139–163.
- Antunes, D., V. Vaze, and A. Antunes (2019). A Robust Pairing Model for Airline Crew Scheduling. Transportation Science, 53(6), 1751–1771.
- Harder, R., K. Wei, V. Vaze, and J. Stahl (2019). Simulation Analysis and Comparison of Point-of-Care Testing and Central Laboratory Testing. Medical Decision Making: Policy & Practice, 4(1), 1–14.
- Yan, C., P. Swaroop, M. Ball, C. Barnhart, and V. Vaze (2019). Majority Judgment over a Convex Candidate Space. Operations Research Letters, 47(4), 317–325.
- Wei, K., and V. Vaze (2018). Modeling Crew Itineraries and Delays in the National Air Transportation System. Transportation Science, 52(5), 1276–1296.
- Jacquillat, A., and V. Vaze (2018). Interairline Equity in Airport Scheduling Interventions. Transportation Science, 52(4), 941–964.
- Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, and V. Vaze (2014). Modeling Passenger Travel and Delays in the National Air Transportation System. Operations Research, 62(3), 580–601.