Dr. Marrero will join the Dartmouth Engineering faculty in January of 2022. He is currently working as a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard Medical School. Marrero’s research interest lies at the intersection of operations research and statistics, with an emphasis on stochastic simulation and optimization to support decision making in practice. His current work addresses various application areas, including opioid use disorder, cardiovascular disease, and organ transplantation. Through this research, he has ongoing collaborations with the Massachusetts General Hospital, the University of Michigan Medical School, the University of Michigan School of Public Health, and the US Department of Veterans Affairs.
- BS, Industrial and Management Engineering, University of Turabo 2014
- MS, Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan 2017
- MA, Statistics, University of Michigan 2021
- PhD, Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan 2021
Machine learning; inferential statistics; stochastic simulation; sequential decision making; health policy; medical decision making
- Marrero, W. J., Lavieri, M. S., Guikema, S. D., Hutton, D. W., & Parikh, N. D. (2021). A Machine Learning Approach for the Prediction of Overall Deceased Donor Organ Yield. Surgery. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2021.06.004.
- Marrero, W.J., Lavieri, M.S., & Sussman, J.B. (2021) Optimal Cholesterol Treatment Plans and Genetic Testing Strategies for Cardiovascular Diseases. Health Care Management Science. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10729-020-09537-x.
- DeRoos, L.J., Zhou, Y., Marrero, W.J., Tapper, E.B., Sonnenday, C.J., Lavieri, M.S., Hutton, D.W., Parikh, N.D. (2020). National Organ Donation Rates and Organ Procurement Organization Metrics. JAMA Surgery, 48109:1-8. http://doi.org/doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2020.5395.
- Marrero, W.J., Lavieri, M.S., & Sussman, J.B. A Simulation Model to Evaluate the Implications of Genetic Testing in Cholesterol Treatment Plans. Proceedings of the 2019 Winter Simulation Conference, N. Mustafee, K.-H.G. Bae, S. Lazarova-Molnar, M. Rabe, C. Szabo, P. Haas, and Y.-J. Son, eds. http://doi.org/10.1109/WSC40007.2019.9004735.
- DeRoos, L.J., Marrero, W.J., Tapper, E.B., Sonnenday, C.J., Lavieri, M.S., Hutton, D.W., & Parikh, N.D. (2019). Estimated Association Between Organ Availability and Presumed Consent in Solid Organ Transplant. JAMA Network Open, 2(10):e1912431. http://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.12431.
- Marrero, W. J., Lavieri, M. S., Guikema, S. D., Hutton, D. W., & Parikh, N. D. (2018). Development of a Predictive Model for Deceased Donor Organ Yield. (2018). Transplantation, 102(8), e364. http://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000002274.
- Parikh, N.D., Marrero, W.J., Wang, J., Steuer, J., Tapper, E.B., Konerman, M., Singal, A.G., Hutton, D.W., Byon, E., & Lavieri, M.S. (2017). Projected Increase in Obesity and Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis-Related Liver Transplantation Waitlist Additions in the United States. Hepatology, (5), 1–36. http://doi.org/10.1002/hep.29473.
- Parikh, N.D., Marrero, W.J., Sonnenday, C.J., Lok, A.S., Hutton, D.W., & Lavieri, M.S. (2017). Population-Based Analysis and Projections of Liver Supply Under Redistricting. Transplantation, 101(9), 2048–2055. http://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000001785.
- Schell, G.J., Marrero, W.J., Lavieri, M.S., Sussman, J.B., & Hayward, R.A. (2016). Data-Driven Markov Decision Process Approximations for Personalized Hypertension Treatment Planning. MDM Policy & Practice, 1(1). http://doi.org/10.1177/2381468316674214.
- Marrero, W.J., Naik, A.S., Friedewald, J.J., Xu, Y., Hutton, D.W., Lavieri, M.S., & Parikh, N.D. (2016). Predictors of Deceased Donor Kidney Discard in the United States. Transplantation, 0(0), 1–8. http://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000001238.
- Parikh, N., Hutton, D., Marrero, W.J., Sanghani, K., Xu, Y., & Lavieri, M.S. (2015). Projections in Donor Organs Available for Liver Transplantation in the United States: 2014–2025. Liver Transplantation, 21(3), 855–863. http://doi.org/10.1002/lt.
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences Annual Meeting Minority Issues Forum Poster Competition Best Poster Award, 2020
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences Judith Liebman Award, 2020
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships Program Award, 2017
- Michigan Student Symposium for Interdisciplinary Statistical Sciences American Statistical Association Sponsored Best Poster Award, 2017
- Rackham Merit Fellowship Award, 2015
- Member, Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Member, Society for Medical Decision Making
- Member, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers