Associate Professor of Engineering
Professor Fang enjoys teaching and researching innovative materials, structures, and devices as solutions to address various grand challenges facing humanity, especially in biology and medicine. A particular focus in his group is to develop scalable multifunctional materials and devices, to enable convergence research to, on the one hand, respond to the complex spatiotemporal nature of the hard problems they are addressing, and to, on the other, leverage the global development of artificial intelligence. This work also involves investigating fundamental multiphysics science (mechanical, electrical, electrochemical, optical, etc.) at various surfaces and interfaces, understanding biotic-abiotic interactions, and harnessing such knowledge to engineering system-level performance. Current research concentrates on multifunctional materials and devices for large-scale soft microsystem development, all lately with an emphasis on neuroelectronics. These efforts are highly multidisciplinary, and combine expertise from materials science, device engineering, and neural engineering.
BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University 2009
PhD, Materials Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 2014
Neuroelectronics; electronic materials; electroactive organisms
- X. Han, K. J. Seo, Y. Qiang, Z. Li, S. Vinnikova, Y. Zhong, X. Zhao, P. Hao, S. Wang, and H. Fang, "Nanomeshed Si Nanomembranes," npj Flexible Electronics, 3:9, 2019.
- Y. Qiang, P. Artoni, K. J. Seo, S. Culaclii, V. Hogan, X. Zhao, Y. Zhong, X. Han, P.-M. Wang, Y.-K. Lo, Y. Li, H. A. Patel, Y. Huang, A. Sambangi, J. S. V. Chu, W. Liu, M. Fagiolini, and H. Fang, "Transparent Arrays of Bilayer-Nanomesh Microelectrodes for Simultaneous Electrophysiology and 2-Photon Imaging in the Brain," Science Advances, 4, eaat0626, 2018.
- K.J. Seo, Y. Qiang, I. Bilgin, S. Kar, C. Vinegoni, R. Weissleder, and H. Fang, "Transparent Electrophysiology Microelectrodes and Interconnects from Metal Nanomesh," ACS Nano, 11, 4365–4372, 2017.
- H. Fang, K.J. Yu, C. Gloschat, Z. Yang, E. Song, C.-H. Chiang, J. Zhao, S.M. Won, S. Xu, M. Trumpis, Y. Zhong, S.W. Han, Y. Xue, D. Xu, S.W. Choi, G. Cauwenberghs, M. Kay, Y. Huang, J. Viventi, I.R. Efimov, and J.A. Rogers, "Capacitively Coupled Arrays of Multiplexed Flexible Silicon Transistors for Long-Term Cardiac Electrophysiology," Nature Biomedical Engineering, 1, 0038, 2017.
- H. Fang, C. Battaglia, C. Carraro, S. Nemsak, B. Ozdol, J.S. Kang, H.A. Bechtel, S.B. Desai, F. Kronast, A.A. Unal, G. Conti, C. Conlon, G.K. Palsson, M.C. Martin, A.M. Minor, C.S. Fadley, E. Yablonovitch, R. Maboudian, and A. Javey, "Strong interlayer coupling in van der Waals heterostructures built from single-layer chalcogenides," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 111 (17), 6198-6202, 2014.
- H. Fang, H.A. Bechtel, E. Plis, M.C. Martin, S. Krishna, E. Yablonovitch, and A. Javey, "Quantum of Optical Absorption in Two-Dimensional Semiconductors," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 110, 11688-11691, 2013.
- NSF CAREER Award, 2019
- MIT Technology Review TR35, Finalist, 2017