Alexis R. Abramson
Dean and Professor of Engineering
Alexis Abramson is the 13th dean of Thayer School. Prior to joining Dartmouth, she was the Milton and Tamar Maltz Professor of Energy Innovation at Case Western Reserve University and served as a director of the university’s Great Lakes Energy Institute focused on creating sustainable energy technology solutions. During the Obama administration, Abramson served as chief scientist and manager of the Emerging Technologies Division at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Building Technologies Program. In 2018, she served as technical adviser for Breakthrough Energy Ventures, a $1 billion effort launched by Bill Gates to combat human-driven climate change. As a leader in sustainable energy technology and advanced energy research, Abramson has authored more than 60 peer-reviewed publications.
Building energy efficiency; data analytics applied to energy applications; nanoscale energy transport; thermal, electrical and thermoelectric properties of nanostructures, nanocomposites and biological materials; interfacial thermal resistance effects; coupled mechanical and thermal phenomena; computational modeling of heat transfer; MEMS and nanostructure synthesis and fabrication; thermal management of electronics and solar cells, including specialized devices; electrohydrodynamics and heat transfer
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Tufts University 1995
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Tufts University 1998
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 2002
- Carl F. Wittke Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Nominee, 2014 & 2015
- Executive Leadership in Academic Technology and Engineering (ELATE) Fellow, 2013–2014
- Mather Spotlight Prize, Case Western Reserve University, 2012
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award Recipient, 2005–2010
- Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Scientific Advisory Board
- Energy and Environmental Directorate Scientific Advisory Committee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- A.R. Abramson and E. Welsh, “A Measure of Intra-University Collaboration: Faculty Gender Imbalance on Doctoral Dissertation Committees,” International Journal of Doctoral Studies, Vol. 13, 457–469 (2018).
- E.M. Pickering, M.A. Hossain, R.H. French and A.R. Abramson, “Building Electricity Consumption: Data Analytics of Building Operations with Classical Time Series Decomposition and Case Based Subsetting,” Buildings and Energy, Vol. 177, 184–196 (2018).
- S.H. Hostler, A.S. Iyengar, N.K. Mahanta, A.R. Abramson, “Thermal Conductivity of Cold Compacted Bismuth Nanowires,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 117, 951–957 (2018).
- E.M. Pickering, M.A. Hossain, J.P. Mousseau, R.A. Swanson, R.H. French and A.R. Abramson, “A Cross Sectional Study of the Temporal Evolution of Electricity Consumption of Six Commercial Buildings,” PLOS ONE, Vol. 12, e0187129 (2017).
- M.A. Hossain, Y. Xu, T.J. Peshek, J. Liang, A.R. Abramson, R.H. French, “Microinverter Thermal Performance in the Real-World: Measurements and Modeling,” PLOS ONE, Vol. 10, e0131279 (2015).
- N.K. Mahanta, M.R. Loos, I.M. Zlocozower and A.R. Abramson, “Graphite-Graphene Hybrid Filler System for High Thermal Conductivity of Epoxy Composites,” Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 30, 959–966 (2015).
- D.J. Buckmaster and A.R. Abramson, “Characterization of the Effects of Insulating Wall Paint on Space Conditioning in a Room,” Journal of Thermal Engineering, Vol. 1, pp. 322–329 (2015).
- D.J. Buckmaster and A.R. Abramson, “The Effects of Interior Emissivity and Room Layout on Forced-Air Space Conditioning Power Usage,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 89, pp. 216–228 (2015).
- H. Yan, N.K. Mahanta, B. Wang, S. Wang, A.R. Abramson and M. Cakmak, “Structural Evolution in Graphitization from Nanofibers and Mats from Electrospun Polyimide-Mesophase Pitch Blends,” Carbon, Vol. 17, pp. 303–318 (2014).
- N. Mahanta, J.Y. Howe and A.R Abramson, “Thermal Conductivity Measurements on Individual Vapor-grown Carbon Nanofibers and Graphene Nanoplatelets,” Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 114, 163528 (2013).
- A. Ongkodjojo Ong, A.R. Abramson, N.C. Tien, “Electrohydrodynamic Microfabricated Ionic Wind Pumps—Single Element Devices for Thermal Management Applications,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 136, 061703-11 (2013).
- ENGS 7.08: Energy Sustainability: Technologies and Impact