Weiyang (Fiona) Li
Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineering1-603-646-3802
Dr. Weiyang (Fiona) Li graduated with BS and MS degrees in chemistry from Nankai University (Tianjin, P.R. China), and a PhD in biomedical engineering from Washington University in St. Louis (with Prof. Younan Xia). She then worked as a Postdoctoral Associate with Prof. Yi Cui in the Department of Materials Science & Engineering at Stanford University from 2011 to 2015. Her research primarily focuses on the development of rationally designed functional materials with finely tailored nanoscale architecture to tackle critical problems in diverse energy-related applications. In her spare time, she enjoys painting, hiking, traveling and watching basketball games.
- BS, Chemistry, Nankai University, China 2004
- MS, Chemistry, Key Laboratory of Advanced Energy Materials Chemistry, Nankai University, China 2007
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, Washington University, St. Louis 2011
Energy materials; functional nanomaterials design and synthesis; structure-property correlations; electrochemical engineering; energy storage and conversion devices; batteries, fuel cells, and clean/renewable energy; electrocatalysis
- Li, W.; Liang, Z.; Lu, Z.; Tao, X.; Liu, K.; Yao, H.; Cui, Y. "Magnetic Field-Controlled Lithium Polysulfide Semiliquid Battery with Ferrofluidic Properties" Nano Letters, 2015, Article ASAP, DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b02818.
- Li, W.; Yao, H.; Yan, K.; Zheng, G; Liang, Z.; Chiang, Y-. M.; Cui, Y. "The Synergetic Effect of Lithium Polysulfide and Lithium Nitrate to Prevent Lithium Dendrite Growth" Nature Communications 2015, 6, 7436, DOI:10.1038/ncomms8436.
- Li, W.;* Liang, Z.;* Lu, Z.; Yao, H.; Seh, Z. W.; Yan, K.; Zheng, G; Cui, Y. "Sulfur Cathode with Pomegranate-Like Cluster Structure" Advanced Energy Materials 2015, DOI:10.1002/AENM.201500211.(*Co-first author)
- Sun, Y.; Yao, H.; Li, W.; Seh, Z. W.; Zheng, G; Cui, Y. "In-Operando Optical Imaging of Temporal and Spatial Distribution of Polysulfides in Lithium-Sulfur Batteries" Nano Energy 2015, 11, 579−586.
- Seh, Z. W.; Yu, J. H.; Li, W.; Hsu, P.-C.; Wang, H.; Sun, Y.; Yao, H.; Zhang, Q.; Cui, Y. "Two-dimensional layered transition metal disulphides for effective encapsulation of high-capacity lithium sulphide cathodes" Nature Communications 2014, 5, 5017.
- Yao, H.; Yan, K.; Li, W.; Zheng, G; Kong, D.; Seh, Z. W.; Narasimhan, V. K.; Zheng, L.; Cui, Y. "Improved lithium-sulfur batteries with a conductive coating on the separator to prevent the accumulation of inactive S-related species at the cathode-separator interface" Energy & Environmental Science 2014, 7, 3381−3389.
- Li, W.; Zheng, G; Yuan, Y.; Seh, Z. W.; Liu, N.; Cui, Y. "High-performance hollow sulfur nanostructured battery cathode through a scalable, room-temperature, one-step bottom-up approach" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2013, 110, 7148−7153.
- Seh, Z. W.;* Li, W.;* Cha, J.; Zheng, G; Yuan, Y.; McDowell, M. T.; Hsu, P. C.; Cui, Y. "Sulfur-TiO2 yolk-shell nanoarchitecture with internal void space for long-cycle lithium-sulfur batteries" Nature Communications 2013, 4, 1331.(*Co-first author)
- Li, W.; Zhang, Q.; Zheng, G; Seh, Z. W.; Yao, H.; Cui, Y. "Understanding the role of different conductive polymers in improving the nanostructured sulfur cathode performance" Nano Letters 2013, 13, 5534−5540.
- Xia, Y.; Li, W.; Cobley, C. M.; Chen, J.; Xia, X.; Zhang, Q.; Yang, M.; Cho, E. C.; Brown, K. P.; "Gold nanocages: from synthesis to theranostic applications" Accounts of Chemical Research 2011, 44, 914−924. (Invited review article, highlighted in Chemical & Engineering News, September 26, 2011, pp. 29−32)
- Li, W.; Camargo, P. H. C.; Au, L.; Zhang, Q.; Rycenga, M.; Xia, Y. "Etching and dimerization: A simple and versatile route to dimers of silver nanospheres with a range of sizes" Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2010, 49, 164−168 (VIP article).
- Zhang, Q.;* Li, W.;* Moran, C.; Chen, J.; Wen, L.; Xia, Y. "Seed-mediated synthesis of Ag nanocubes with controllable edge lengths in the range of 30-200 nm and comparison of their optical properties" Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010, 132, 11372−11378. (*Co-first author)
- AFOSR Young Investigator Program award, 2016
- The State Natural Science Award, State Council of the People's Republic of China, 2011
- Graduate Student Presentation Award, MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2009
- Encapsulated sulfur cathodes for rechargeable lithium batteries (Application: EP20120831950)
- Preparation method of nickel hydroxide nanotube (Chinese Patent: CN1267357 C)
- Vanadate silver electrode material and preparation method and its application (Chinese Patent: CN1913202 B)
- Magnesium negative material and preparation method and application (Chinese Patent: CN1913219 A)
- Reviewer, Nano Letters, Nanoscale, Chemical Communications, Chemistry−A European Journal, RSC Advances, Materials, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, Science of Advanced Materials, Nature Communications, and many others
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
Fiona Li Finds New Ways to Save Today’s Energy for Tomorrow
April 7, 2016
Magnetically controlled battery could store energy for power grids
October 19, 2015