Geoffrey G. Parker
Charles E. Hutchinson '68A Professor of Engineering Innovation
Executive Director, Master of Engineering Management Program
Data analytics; platform economics & strategy; intellectual property; core operations; product innovation & development; outsourcing & supply chain strategy; energy economics, policy, strategy, innovation, market structure & performance
- BS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Princeton University 1986
- MS, Electrical Engineering (Technology and Policy Program), MIT 1993
- PhD, Management Science (Operations Management, Statistics), MIT 1998
- Winner, Antitrust Writing Awards: Academic Articles > Mergers, 2022
- Thinkers50 Ranking, 2021
- INFORMS ISS Practical Impacts Award, 2021
- Antitrust Writing Award, 2021
- Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) Fellow Award, 2020
- Thinkers50 Digital Thinking Award, 2019
- Best Paper Award, Management Science IS Dept, 2019 (Innovation, Openness, and Platform Control)
- Top 10 Harvard Business Review Must-Reads, 2017; Top 10 Harvard Business Review Must-Reads for Business Models, 2019 (Pipelines, platforms, and the new rules of strategy, 2016)
- Top Ten Course, Tuck School of Business, 2018 (Platform Design, Management, and Strategy)
- Best Paper Award, MIS Quarterly, 2017 (Platform Ecosystems: How Developers Invert the Firm)
- Golden Book Award Best Business Book, 2016 (Platform Revolution, Mandarin edition)
- All Time Top 50 Harvard Business Review article (Strategies for Two-Sided Markets)
- Anderson, E.G., Bhargava, H.K., Boehm, J., & Parker, G. (2022). "Electric Vehicles Are a Platform Business: What Firms Need to Know." California Management Review, 64(4), 135–154. https://doi.org/10.1177/000812...
- Parker, G., G. Petropoulos, M. Van Alstyne. (2021). "Platform Mergers and Antitrust." Industrial and Corporate Change. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtab048
- Henfridsson, O., P. Hukal, G. Parker, M. Shaikh (2020). "Platform Signaling for Generating Platform Content." MIS Quarterly.
- Anderson, E.G., G. Parker, B. Tan, (2020). "Platform Pricing and Investment to Drive Third Party Value Creation in Two-Sided Networks." Information Systems Research.
- Parker, G., B. Tan, O. Kazan (2019). "Electric Power Industry: Operational and Public Policy Challenges and Opportunities." Production and Operations Management.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2018). "Innovation, Openness, and Platform Control." Management Science.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne. X. Jiang (2017). "Platform Ecosystems: How Developers Invert the Firm." MIS Quarterly.
- M. Van Alstyne, Parker, G., S. Choudary (2016). "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy." Harvard Business Review.
- Jiang, X., G. Parker, E. Shittu (2015). "Envelope Modeling of Renewable Resource Variability and Capacity." Computers and Operations Research.
- Grahovac, J., G. Parker, E. Shittu. (2015). "The Impact of Costliness, Competitive Importance, and Modularity of Investments on Outsourcing." Production and Operations Management. Vol. 24, No. 3.
- Anderson, E., G. Parker, B. Tan (2014). "Platform Feature Investment in the Presence of Network Externalities." Information Systems Research. Vol. 25, No. 1.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne. (2011). "Platform Envelopment." Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 32.