Bachelor's DegreesBachelor of ArtsBachelor of EngineeringDual-Degree Program
Master's DegreesMaster of ScienceMaster of EngineeringMaster of Engineering Management
Doctoral DegreesDoctor of PhilosophyPhD Innovation ProgramPhD + Doctor of Medicine
Startups listed byStartup Names Faculty Founders Research Programs
Patents listed byPatent Titles Faculty Inventors Research Programs
Geoffrey G. Parker
Charles E. Hutchinson '68A Professor of Engineering Innovation
Executive Director, Master of Engineering Management Program
Data analytics; platform economics & strategy; intellectual property; core operations; product innovation & development; outsourcing & supply chain strategy; energy economics, policy, strategy, innovation, market structure & performance
- BS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Princeton University 1986
- MS, Electrical Engineering (Technology and Policy Program), MIT 1993
- PhD, Management Science (Operations Management, Statistics), MIT 1998
- Winner, Antitrust Writing Awards: Academic Articles > Mergers, 2022
- Thinkers50 Ranking, 2021
- INFORMS ISS Practical Impacts Award, 2021
- Antitrust Writing Award, 2021
- Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) Fellow Award, 2020
- Thinkers50 Digital Thinking Award, 2019
- Best Paper Award, Management Science IS Dept, 2019 (Innovation, Openness, and Platform Control)
- Top 10 Harvard Business Review Must-Reads, 2017; Top 10 Harvard Business Review Must-Reads for Business Models, 2019 (Pipelines, platforms, and the new rules of strategy, 2016)
- Top Ten Course, Tuck School of Business, 2018 (Platform Design, Management, and Strategy)
- Best Paper Award, MIS Quarterly, 2017 (Platform Ecosystems: How Developers Invert the Firm)
- Golden Book Award Best Business Book, 2016 (Platform Revolution, Mandarin edition)
- All Time Top 50 Harvard Business Review article (Strategies for Two-Sided Markets)
- Digital Fellow, Stanford Digital Economy Lab
- Fellow, Luohan Academy
- Fellow and Visiting Scholar, MIT Initiative on the Digital Economy
- Department Editor, Production and Operations Management
- Anderson, E.G., Bhargava, H.K., Boehm, J., & Parker, G. (2022). "Electric Vehicles Are a Platform Business: What Firms Need to Know." California Management Review, 64(4), 135–154. https://doi.org/10.1177/000812...
- Parker, G., G. Petropoulos, M. Van Alstyne. (2021). "Platform Mergers and Antitrust." Industrial and Corporate Change. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dtab048
- Henfridsson, O., P. Hukal, G. Parker, M. Shaikh (2020). "Platform Signaling for Generating Platform Content." MIS Quarterly.
- Anderson, E.G., G. Parker, B. Tan, (2020). "Platform Pricing and Investment to Drive Third Party Value Creation in Two-Sided Networks." Information Systems Research.
- Parker, G., B. Tan, O. Kazan (2019). "Electric Power Industry: Operational and Public Policy Challenges and Opportunities." Production and Operations Management.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne (2018). "Innovation, Openness, and Platform Control." Management Science.
- Parker, G., M. Van Alstyne. X. Jiang (2017). "Platform Ecosystems: How Developers Invert the Firm." MIS Quarterly.
- M. Van Alstyne, Parker, G., S. Choudary (2016). "Pipelines, Platforms, and the New Rules of Strategy." Harvard Business Review.
- Jiang, X., G. Parker, E. Shittu (2015). "Envelope Modeling of Renewable Resource Variability and Capacity." Computers and Operations Research.
- Grahovac, J., G. Parker, E. Shittu. (2015). "The Impact of Costliness, Competitive Importance, and Modularity of Investments on Outsourcing." Production and Operations Management. Vol. 24, No. 3.
- Anderson, E., G. Parker, B. Tan (2014). "Platform Feature Investment in the Presence of Network Externalities." Information Systems Research. Vol. 25, No. 1.
- Eisenmann, T., G. Parker, M. Van Alstyne. (2011). "Platform Envelopment." Strategic Management Journal. Vol. 32.