Visiting Professor of Engineering
Born and educated in Sweden. Post-docs in the USA in the field of nonlinear optics in glasses for the purpose of high bandwidth data transmission in optical fibers. Later research focussed on ultrafast and THz spectroscopy in condensed matter. Deeply involved with teaching pedagogy and novel forms of classroom instruction.
- MSc, engineering physics, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden
- PhD, physics, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Ultrafast and terahertz spectroscopy; novel teaching methods in engineering
- R. Marskar, and U. Österberg, Single-cycle coherent terahertz-pulse propagation in rigid-rotor molecular media, Physical Review A 92, 023843 (2015).
- R. Marskar, and U. Österberg, Linear and nonlinear optical precursors in inhomogeneously broadened two-level media, Physical Review A 86, 063826 (2012).
- S. Egge, U. Österberg, and A. Aksnes, Speckle contrast of the sum of N partially correlated speckle patterns, JOSA A, 29, 1188 (2012).
- R. Marskar, and U. Österberg, Multilevel Maxwell-Bloch simulations in inhomogeneously broadened media, Optics Express, 19(18), 16784 (2011).
- S. Egge, M. Akram, V. Kartashov K. Welde, Z. Tong, U. Österberg and A. Aksnes, Sinusoidal rotating grating for speckle reduction in laser projectors: feasibility study, Optical Engineering, 50(8), 083202 (2011).
- H. Jeong, U. Österberg, and T. Hansson, Evolution of Sommerfeld and Brillouin precursors in intermediate spectral regimes, JOSA B, 26, 2414–2422 (2009).
- D. Lukofsky, J. Bessette, H. Jeong, E. Garmire and U. Österberg, Can precursors improve energy transmission at optical frequencies?, Journal of Modern Optics, 56, 1083–1090 (2009).
- A. Ellis and U. Österberg, RotaryFROG: Geometry for measuring amplitude and phase of weak broadband laser pulses, Optics Letters 34, 404 (2009).
- T. Hansson, D. Andersson, M. Lisak, V. Semenov and U. Österberg, Exact solution of the Wigner-Moyal equation for propagation of partially coherent light beams in nonlinear Kerr media, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 25, 1780–1785 (2008).
- V. Semenov, M. Lisak, D. Andersson, T. Hansson, L. Helczynski-Wolf and U. Österberg, Mathematical Basis for Analysis of Partially Coherent Wave Propagation in Nonlinear, and Non-Instantaneous, Kerr Media, J. of Math. Phys. A, 41, 335207, 2008.
- F. Shubitidze and U. Österberg, A phenomenological model to fit complex permittivity data of water from radio to optical frequencies, Physical Review E, 75, 046608-046613 (2007).
- U. Österberg and W. Margulis, Dye laser pumped by Nd:YAG laser pulses frequency doubled in a glass optical fiber, Opt. Lett. 11, 516 (1986).
- National Research Council Fellow 1989–1990
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator 1990–1995
- Elected member of Norway’s Technical and Scientific Academy (NTVA), 2009
- Elected foreign member of The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS), 2016
- Lightkey, LLC
- OSA member
- APS member