Master's DegreesMaster of EngineeringMaster of Engineering ManagementMaster of ScienceAdmissions
Image-guided surgery; medical imaging; multi-modality imaging; image analysis; finite element; numerical methods; image registration; traumatic brain injury; computational modeling of the human head
- BSc, Materials Science, Shanghai Jiaotong University 1996
- MS, Computer Science, Washington University in St. Louis 2003
- DSc, Mechanical Engineering, Washington University in St. Louis 2003
Image-guided neurosurgery gives the surgeon the ability to track instruments in reference to subsurface anatomical structures. Using clinical brain displacement data, a computational technique is being developed to model the brain deformation that typically occurs during neurosurgery. The resulting deformation predictions are then used to update the patient's preoperative magnetic resonance images seen by the surgeon during the procedure.
Surgical Image Guidance
- S. Ji, X. Fan, K.D. Paulsen, D.W. Roberts, S.K. Mirza, S.S. Lollis. (2015). Patient Registration Using Intraoperative Stereovision in Image-guided Open Spinal Surgery. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, (in press).
- S. Ji, X. Fan, D.W. Roberts, K.D. Paulsen. Efficient Stereo Image Geometrical Reconstruction at Arbitrary Camera Settings from a Single Calibration. In: Barillot, C., Golland, P., Hornegger, J., Howe R. (eds.) MICCAI 2014, (Oral presentation; at a rate of ~4.00%, 36/~900)
- S. Ji, X. Fan, D.W. Roberts, A. Hartov, Timothy J. Schaewe, David A. Simon, and K.D. Paulsen. (2014) "Brain Shift Compensation via Intraoperative Imaging and Data Assimilation," in CRC Handbook of Imaging in Biological Mechanics, (pp. 229–240) CRC Press and Taylor & Francis, Editors: Corey Neu and Guy Genin.
- S. Ji, X. Fan, A. Hartov, D.W. Roberts, K.D. Paulsen. Cortical Surface Shift Estimation Using Optical Flow Motion Tracking and Stereovision via Projection Image Registration, Medical Image Analysis, 18:1169–1183, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.media.2014.07.001
- S. Ji, D.W. Roberts, A. Hartov, and K.D. Paulsen. Intraoperative patient registration using volumetric true 3D ultrasound without fiducials, Medical Physics. 39(12), 7540–7552, (2012).
- S. Ji, X. Fan, A. Hartov, D.W. Roberts, and K.D. Paulsen. "Estimation of intraoperative brain deformation", in Studies in Mechanobiology, Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials, Volume 11, 97–133, Y. Payan (Ed.), Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. DOI: 10.1007/8415_2012_129
- S. Ji, X. Fan, D.W. Roberts, K.D. Paulsen, Cortical surface strain estimation using stereovision. In: Fichtinger, G., Martel, A., Peters, T. (eds.) MICCAI 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6891, pp. 412–419. Springer, Berlin (2011) (Oral presentation; at a rate of 4.15%, 34/819)
Traumatic Brain Injury
- S. Ji, W. Zhao, J.C. Ford, J.G. Beckwith, R.P. Bolander, R.M. Greenwald, L.A. Flashman, K.D. Paulsen, T.W. McAllister. (2015) Group-wise evaluation and comparison of white matter fiber strain and maximum principal strain in sports-related concussion. Journal of Neurotrauma. 32(7), 441-454. doi/abs/10.1089/neu.2013.3268 (front cover)
- W. Zhao, J. Ruan, S. Ji. Brain pressure responses in translational head impact: a dimensional analysis and a further computational study. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. DOI: 10.1007/s10237-014-0634-0
- S. Ji, W. Zhao. A pre-computed brain response atlas for instantaneous strain estimation in contact sports. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-014-1193-3
- S. Ji, W. Zhao, Z. Li, T.W. McAllister. (2014) Head impact accelerations for brain strain-related responses in contact sports: a model-based investigation. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. DOI: 10.1007/s10237-014-0562-z
- S. Ji, H. Ghadyani, R.P. Bolander, J.G. Beckwith, J.C. Ford, T.W. McAllister, L.A. Flashman, K.D. Paulsen, K. Ernstrom, S. Jain, R. Raman, L. Zhang and R.M. Greenwald. Parametric Comparisons of Intracranial Mechanical Responses from Three Validated Finite Element Models of the Human Head. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 42(1): 11–24, 2014. doi:10.1007/s10439-013-0907-2