E-engineering information technologies; near real-time scheduling and dispatching; assembly system design; product design; multi-objective optimization; integrated material handling system concepting and design; intelligent control systems
- BSIE, Industrial Engineering, Syracuse University 1967
- MSIE, Industrial Engineering, State University of New York, Buffalo 1969
- PhD, Industrial Engineering, State University of New York, Buffalo 1974
- Bernard M. Gordon Prize for Innovation in Engineering and Technology Education, 2014
- Fellow of IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers), elected 1992
- Fellow of SME (Society of Manufacturing Engineers), elected 1998
- IIE Dr. David F. Baker Distinguished Research Award, 1997
- Reed-Apple Award, Material Handling Industry of America, 2002
- School of Engineering Research Award, Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute, 2003
- Associate Editor, J. Manufacturing Systems, 1993-present
- Technical Review Board, CAD/CAM, Robotics and Factories of the Future, Kluwer Publishing
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), 1966-present, elected Fellow, 1992
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME), 1986-present, elected Fellow, 1995
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2004-present
- INFORMS (formerly The Institute of Management Sciences), 1973-present
- Material Handling Institute and National Science Foundation, "Research Colloquium on Material Handling," Program Planning Committee, General Program Chairman, 1998
- "Conference on Agile, Intelligent and Computer Integrated Manufacturing," Conference Co-Chair, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1998
- Member, Board of Directors, Ve-design, Inc., 1999-present
- Tianin Xu, A. Desrochers, and R.J. Graves, "Discrete Event System Techniques for CIM", International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, to appear, 2008.
- F. Xue, A.C. Sanderson, R.J. Graves, "Multi-objective evolutionary decision support for design-supplier-manufacturing planning", in review, IEEE Trans. of System, Man, Cybernetics, Part A, to appear, 2008.
- R.J. Graves, Shaelynn Hales, Sunderesh S. Heragu, Charles J. Malmborg, and Sybillyn Jennings, "A Multimedia Educational Tool Integrating Materials Handling Technology, Analysis and Design Using Virtual Distribution Center", European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 93-110, 2007.
- A. Goel, and R.J. Graves, "Electronic System Reliability: Collating Prediction Models", IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 258-265, 2006.
- Tianin Xu, A.A. Desrochers, and R.J. Graves, "Performance Modeling of Dynamic Network-based Decision Systems for Distributed Manufacturing", International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 18, No. 2-3, pp. 179-198, March-May 2005.
- R.J. Graves, A.C. Sanderson, and R. Subbu, "A scalable e-engineering technology for network-based concurrent engineering in electronics", Special Issue of the International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Vol. 18, No. 5, 2005.