Adjunct Assistant Professor of Engineering
Jeremy Faludi, PhD., LEED AP BD+C, is a sustainable design strategist. He has contributed to six books on sustainable design, including Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century. He co-authored the Autodesk Sustainability Workshop, created the Whole System Mapping sustainable design method, designed the prototype of AskNature.org for the Biomimicry Institute, and a bicycle he helped design appeared in the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum's 2007 exhibit "Design for the Other 90%."
Sustainable design; design methods; life-cycle assessment; sustainability metrics; green 3D printing; additive manufacturing; green building
- BA, Physics, Reed College 1995
- MEng, Product Design, Stanford University 2003
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of California Berkeley 2017
- Taught sustainable design workshops at SustainableBrands and Greenermind Summit, 2016–2018
- Lead author of Autodesk Sustainability Workshop, Autodesk, 2010–2015
- Co-author of Cradle to Cradle Product Innovation Institute’s online education, C2CPII, 2014
- Co-author of Autodesk Building Performance Analysis Certificate online class, Autodesk, 2012
- Information architect and designer of the first biomimicry database, AskNature.org, for the Biomimicry Institute
- Design contributor to Worldbike, featured in the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum's 2007 exhibit "Design for the Other 90%"
- Member of O2 Sustainable Design Network
Sustainable design methods
Sustainable design methods
What makes sustainable design methods effective and valued by designers, engineers, and product managers? This research works with professionals at product manufacturing firms and design consultancies to empirically test sustainable design methods such as The Natural Step, Whole System Mapping, Biomimicry, and others. It also investigates how sustainable design can provide other business value, such as innovation, to design teams.
Green 3D printing
Green 3D printing
What are the environmental impacts of 3D printing (additive manufacturing), and how can we create new machines and materials to improve impacts? This project aims to 3D print with compostable biomaterials and low-energy printing processes. It measures environmental impacts via life-cycle assessment and sets design priorities accordingly, as described in the OECD 2017 report, "The Next Production Revolution: Implications for Governments and Business," chapter 5, "3D printing and its environmental implications."
- Faludi, J., Agogino, A. What Design Practices Do Professionals Use For Sustainability And Innovation? DESIGN 2018 International Design Conference, Dubrovnik, Croatia May 21–14, 2018. https://doi.org/10.21278/idc.2018.0180
- Faludi, J. Recommending Sustainable Design Practices By Characterizing Activities And Mindsets. International Journal of Sustainable Design, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp.100–136, 2017.
- Faludi, J., Agogino, A., Beckman, S., Iles, A. What Green Design Activities And Mindsets Drive Innovation And Sustainability In Student Teams? DS 87-9 Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED 17), Vol 9, 21–25.08. Vancouver, Canada, 2017.
- Faludi, J., Baumers, M., Maskery, I., Hague, R. Environmental Impacts of Selective Laser Melting: Do Printer, Powder, Or Power Dominate? Journal of Industrial Ecology, 2016. DOI: 10.1111/jiec.12528 (Nominated for best paper award.)
- Faludi, J., Hoang, T., Gorman, P. and Mulvihill, M. Aiding Alternatives Assessment With an Uncertainty-Tolerant Hazard Scoring Method. Journal of Environmental Management, 182, pp.111–125, 2016.
- Faludi, J., Hu, Z., Alrashed, S., Braunholz, C., Kaul, S., Kassaye, L. Does Material Choice Drive Sustainability of 3D Printing? International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial and Mechatronics Engineering Vol. 9 No. 2, 2015.
- Faludi, J., Bayley, C., Bhogal, S., Iribarne, M. Comparing Environmental Impacts of Additive Manufacturing vs. Traditional Machining via Life-Cycle Assessment. Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 21 Iss. 1, pp.14–33, 2015.
- Faludi, J. A Sustainable Design Method Acting as an Innovation Tool. International Conference on Research Into Design (ICORD), Bangalore, India, Jan 8, 2015. Published in Research into Design Across Boundaries, Volume 2, pp. 201–212. Springer India, 2015.
- Faludi, J., Ganeriwala, R., Kelly, B., Rygg, T. F., Yang, C. Sustainability of 3D Printing vs. Machining: Do Machine Type & Size Matter? Proceedings of EcoBalance Conference, Tsukuba, Japan, Oct 28, 2014.
- Faludi, J., Menter, A. Sustainable Design Education Through a Self-Directed Online System. Proceedings of the ASME IDETC Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Portland, Oregon. Aug. 4–7, 2013.
- Faludi, J. and Lepech, M. Ecological Payback Time of an Energy-Efficient Modular Building. Journal of Green Building. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 100–119, 2012.
- Faludi, J., Lepech, M., and Loisos, G. Using Life Cycle Assessment Methods To Guide Architectural Decision-Making For Sustainable Prefabricated Modular Buildings. Journal of Green Building. Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 151–170, 2012.
- Hardham, C., et al. Multi-DOF Isolation And Alignment With Quiet Hydraulic Actuators. Proceedings of ASPE Spring Topical Meeting on Control of Precision Systems, 2004.