Donald K. Perovich
Professor of Engineering
Sea ice geophysics; the interaction of sunlight with ice and snow; the Arctic system and climate change
- BS, Physics, Michigan State University, 1972
- MS, Geophysics, University of Washington, 1979
- PhD, Geophysics, University of Washington, 1983
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union, 2013
- Commander’s Award for Civilian Service, Partnership in Education Award, 2002, 2013
- NASA Group Achievement Award, 2012
- CRREL Lifetime Achievement Award, 2011
- U.S. Coast Guard Arctic Service Medal, 2010, 2011
- ERDC Research and Development Achievement Award, 2010
- CRREL Award for Excellence in Science and Engineering, 2006, 2007
- National Science Foundation Arctic Service Award, 1999
- Department of the Army Meritorious Civilan Service Award, 1999
- Chair, Climate and Cryosphere Arctic Sea Ice Working Group
- Member, World Weather Research Program, Year of Polar Prediction Steering Committee
- Member – International Ocean Color Coordinating Group working group on Ocean Color Remote Sensing in Polar Seas
- Member, Study of Environmental Arctic Change Observing Panel
- National Science Foundation Arctic System Science Committee, 2002-2009
- Chair, NSF Oceans Atmosphere Ice Interaction Science Steering Committee, 2002-2005
- Chair, American Geophysical Union Snow Ice and Permafrost Committee, 1994 – 1996
- Member – Scientific Advisory Committee, ETOPIM 6: Sixth International Conference on the Electrical Transport and Optical Properties of Inhomogeneous Media, 2002
- Chief Scientist, Surface heat budget of the Arctic Ocean (SHEBA), 1996 – 1999
- Co-Chief Scientist, NASA – ICESACPE, 2010 – 2012
- Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research (American Geophysical Union), Field Techniques in Sea Ice Research (University of Alaska Press)
- Member, International Glaciological Society, American Geophysical Union
- Perovich, D.K., J.A. Richter-Menge, C. Polashenski, B. Elder, T. Arbetter, and O. Brennick, Sea ice mass balance observations from the North Pole Environmental Observatory, Geophys. Res. Lett., 41, 2019-2025, doi:10.1002/2014GL059356.
- Perovich, D.K. and C. Polashenski, Albedo evolution of seasonal Arctic sea ice, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L08501, doi:10.1029/2012GL051432, 2012.
- Arrigo, K., D.K. Perovich and others, Massive phytoplankton blooms under Arctic sea ice, Science, 336, 15 June 2012.
- Perovich, D.K., The changing Arctic sea ice cover, Oceanography, 24(3):162–173, http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2011.68, 2011.
- Perovich, D.K., T.C. Grenfell, B. Light, B.C. Elder, J. Harbeck, C. Polashenski, W.B. Tucker III, and C. Stelmach, Trans-polar observations of the morphological properties of Arctic sea ice, J. Geophys. Res., 114, 2009
- Perovich, D.K., J.A. Richter-Menge, K.F. Jones, and B. Light, Sunlight, water, and ice: Extreme Arctic sea ice melt during the summer of 2007, Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, 2008
- Perovich, D.K., B. Light, H. Eicken, K.F. Jones, K. Runciman, and S.V. Nghiem, Increasing solar heating of the Arctic Ocean and adjacent seas, 1979–2005: Attribution and role in the ice- albedo feedback, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, 2007
- Perovich, D.K., On the aggregate-scale partitioning of solar radiation in Arctic Sea Ice during the SHEBA field experiment, J. Geophys. Res., 110, 2005
- Perovich, D.K., T.C. Grenfell, J.A. Richter-Menge, B. Light, W.B. Tucker III, H. Eicken, Thin and thinner: ice mass balance measurements during SHEBA, J. Geophys. Res. 108, (C3), DOI 10.1029/2001JC001079, 26-1 – 26-21, 2003.