Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineering1-603-646-9147
- Bachelor of Technology, Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay 2005
- S.M., Transportation, MIT 2007
- S.M., Operations Research, MIT 2010
- Ph.D., Transportation Systems, MIT 2011
Logistics and transportation; aviation; healthcare analytics; healthcare systems modeling; building energy analytics; systems optimization; game theory; data-driven and statistical modeling
- Cadarso, L., V. Vaze, C. Barnhart, and A. Marin (2015). Integrated Airline Scheduling: Considering Competition Effects and the Entry of the High Speed Rail. Accepted. Transportation Science.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2015). Price of Airline Frequency Competition. Game-Theoretic Analysis of Congestion, Safety and Security (Eds. K. Hausken and J. Zhuang), Springer Series in Reliability Engineering. ISBN 978-3-319-11674-7.
- Evans, T., V. Vaze, and C. Barnhart (2014). Airline-Driven Performance-Based Air Traffic Management: Game Theoretic Models and Multi-Criteria Evaluation. Transportation Science, Articles in Advance, 1-24.
- Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, and V. Vaze (2014). Modeling Passenger Travel and Delays in the National Air Transportation System. Operations Research, 62 (3), 580-601.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2012). Modeling Airline Frequency Competition for Airport Congestion Mitigation. Transportation Science, 46 (4), 512-535.
- Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, A. Odoni, and V. Vaze (2012). Demand and Capacity Management in Air Transportation. EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 1 (1/2), 135-155.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2012). An Assessment of the Impact of Demand Management Strategies for Efficient Allocation of Airport Capacity. International Journal of Revenue Management, 6 (1/2), 5-27.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2011). The Role of Airline Frequency Competition in Airport Congestion Pricing. Transportation Research Record, 2266, 69-77.
- Vaze, V., C. Antoniou, Y. Wen, and M. Ben-Akiva (2009). Calibration of Dynamic Traffic Assignment Models with Point-to-Point Traffic Surveillance. Transportation Research Record, 2090, 1-9.
- Rai, R., M. Balmer, M. Rieser, V. Vaze, S. Schönfelder, and K. Axhausen (2007). Capturing Human Activity Spaces: New Geometries. Transportation Research Record, 2021, 70-80.
Barnhart, C., and V. Vaze. Chapters: "Airline Schedule Optimization" and "Irregular Operations: Schedule Recovery and Robustness."
- Pikarsky Award for Best Ph.D. Dissertation in Science and Technology, Council of University Transportation Centers 2011
- Best Paper Award, 9th USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar 2011
- Graduate Research Award, Airport Cooperative Research Program 2010-2011
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, Anna Valicek Award for Original and Innovative Research in Aviation, AGIFORS 2010
- UPS Merit-based Fellowship, Center for Transportation and Logistics, MIT 2010-2011
- Presidential Fellowship, MIT 2005-2006
- President of India Gold Medal, IIT Bombay 2005
- Reviewer for several major journals including Management Science; Operations Research; Transportation Science; Computers and Operations Research; Annals of Operations Research; Production and Operations Management; European Journal of Operations Research; Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice; Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies; European Economic Review; Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews; Journal of Air Transport Management; Transport Reviews; and International Journal of Business Analytics.
- Reviewer for proposals submitted to the Decision, Risk and Management Science program of the National Science Foundation and for the proposal submitted to the U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2015 Annual Symposium, November 14-18, San Francisco.
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section (AAS) (Jan 2015–Dec 2016).
- Secretary/Treasurer of the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section (AAS) (Jan 2013–Dec 2014).
- Organizer of the Aviation Stream at the Conference of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) (Jul 2014).
- Judging Committee Member for the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section’s Best PhD Dissertation Award (2013).
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Business Analytics (Jan 2012–Dec 2014).
- Member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).
If a flight’s delayed, could it be that the passengers are at fault?
The Washington Post
September 25, 2014
For Delta, It’s Up to You, New York
The Wall Street Journal
October 10, 2012
Flight share plan for new Mumbai airport still up in the air
July 19, 2011