Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineering1-603-646-9147
- Bachelor of Technology, Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay 2005
- S.M., Transportation, MIT 2007
- S.M., Operations Research, MIT 2010
- Ph.D., Transportation Systems, MIT 2011
Logistics and transportation; aviation; healthcare analytics; healthcare systems modeling; building energy analytics; systems optimization; game theory; data-driven and statistical modeling
- Cadarso, L., V. Vaze, C. Barnhart, and A. Marin (2015). Integrated Airline Scheduling: Considering Competition Effects and the Entry of the High Speed Rail. Accepted. Transportation Science.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2015). Price of Airline Frequency Competition. Game-Theoretic Analysis of Congestion, Safety and Security (Eds. K. Hausken and J. Zhuang), Springer Series in Reliability Engineering. ISBN 978-3-319-11674-7.
- Evans, T., V. Vaze, and C. Barnhart (2014). Airline-Driven Performance-Based Air Traffic Management: Game Theoretic Models and Multi-Criteria Evaluation. Transportation Science, Articles in Advance, 1-24.
- Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, and V. Vaze (2014). Modeling Passenger Travel and Delays in the National Air Transportation System. Operations Research, 62 (3), 580-601.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2012). Modeling Airline Frequency Competition for Airport Congestion Mitigation. Transportation Science, 46 (4), 512-535.
- Barnhart, C., D. Fearing, A. Odoni, and V. Vaze (2012). Demand and Capacity Management in Air Transportation. EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, 1 (1/2), 135-155.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2012). An Assessment of the Impact of Demand Management Strategies for Efficient Allocation of Airport Capacity. International Journal of Revenue Management, 6 (1/2), 5-27.
- Vaze, V., and C. Barnhart (2011). The Role of Airline Frequency Competition in Airport Congestion Pricing. Transportation Research Record, 2266, 69-77.
- Vaze, V., C. Antoniou, Y. Wen, and M. Ben-Akiva (2009). Calibration of Dynamic Traffic Assignment Models with Point-to-Point Traffic Surveillance. Transportation Research Record, 2090, 1-9.
- Rai, R., M. Balmer, M. Rieser, V. Vaze, S. Schönfelder, and K. Axhausen (2007). Capturing Human Activity Spaces: New Geometries. Transportation Research Record, 2021, 70-80.
Barnhart, C., and V. Vaze. Chapters: "Airline Schedule Optimization" and "Irregular Operations: Schedule Recovery and Robustness."
- Pikarsky Award for Best Ph.D. Dissertation in Science and Technology, Council of University Transportation Centers 2011
- Best Paper Award, 9th USA/Europe Air Traffic Management Research and Development Seminar 2011
- Graduate Research Award, Airport Cooperative Research Program 2010-2011
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, Anna Valicek Award for Original and Innovative Research in Aviation, AGIFORS 2010
- UPS Merit-based Fellowship, Center for Transportation and Logistics, MIT 2010-2011
- Presidential Fellowship, MIT 2005-2006
- President of India Gold Medal, IIT Bombay 2005
- Reviewer for several major journals including Management Science; Operations Research; Transportation Science; Computers and Operations Research; European Journal of Operations Research; Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice; Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies; European Economic Review; Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics; IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews; Transport Reviews; and International Journal of Business Analytics.
- Reviewer for proposals submitted to the Decision, Risk and Management Science program of the National Science Foundation and for the proposal submitted to the U.S.-Israel Binational Science Foundation.
- Reviewer for the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2015 Annual Symposium, November 14-18, San Francisco.
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect of the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section (AAS) (Jan 2015–Dec 2016).
- Secretary/Treasurer of the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section (AAS) (Jan 2013–Dec 2014).
- Organizer of the Aviation Stream at the Conference of the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) (Jul 2014).
- Judging Committee Member for the INFORMS Aviation Applications Section’s Best PhD Dissertation Award (2013).
- Editorial Board of the International Journal of Business Analytics (Jan 2012–Dec 2014).
- Member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS).
If a flight’s delayed, could it be that the passengers are at fault?
The Washington Post
September 25, 2014