Jonathan T. Elliott
Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineering1-603-646-0775
My research focuses on enhancing the surgeon’s ability to discriminate between malignant and normal tissue. Specifically, I am discovering new ways to exploit tumor-specific contrast based on molecular expression, metabolism and ultrastructure; engineering devices to image these sources of contrast in an intraoperative setting and innovating and testing ways to maximize the impact of these images through data visualization, vision science, and augmented reality. My work directly interfaces with ongoing clinical investigations in the Neurosurgery Department and Center for Surgical Innovation at Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
- BMSc Hons, Medical Sciences, University of Western Ontario (Canada) 2008
- PhD, Medical Biophysics, University of Western Ontario (Canada) 2013
Optics in medicine, molecular guided surgery, tracer kinetic modeling, multimodal imaging, photodynamic therapy, near-infrared spectroscopy, structured light scatteroscopy.
Current Research Projects
- ENGS 16: Biomedical Engineering for Global Health
- JT Elliott, AV Dsouza, SC Davis, JD Olson, KD Paulsen, DW Roberts, and BW Pogue. Review of fluorescence guided surgery visualization and overlay techniques. Biomed Opt Expr 2015; 6(10):3765-3782.
- JT Elliott, KS Samkoe, SC Davis, JR Gunn, KD Paulsen, DW Roberts, BW Pogue. Image-derived arterial input function for quantitative fluorescence imaging of receptor-drug binding in vivo. J Biophotonics 2015; DOI: 10.1002/jbio.201500162).
- AV DSouza, JT Elliott, JR Gunn, RJ Barth, KS Samkoe, KM Tichauer, and Pogue BW. Nodal lymph flow quantified with afferent vessel input function allows differentiation between normal and cancer-bearing nodes. Biomed Opt Expr 2015: 6(4):1304-1317.
- SC Kanick, DM McClatchy III, V Krishnaswamy, JT Elliott, KD Paulsen, BW Pogue. Sub-diffusive scattering parameter maps recovered using wide-field high-frequency structured light imaging. Biomed Opt Expr 2014; 5(10):3376-90.
- JT Elliott, KS Samkoe, JR Gunn, Errol E. Stewart, Timothy B. Gardner, KM Tichauer, T-Y Lee, P. Jack Hoopes, Stephen P. Pereira, T Hasan, BW Pogue. Perfusion CT estimates photosensitizer quantification and biodistribution in a rabbit orthotopic pancreas cancer model. Academic Radiology 2014; 22(5):572-579.
- JT Elliott, M Diop, LB Morrison, CD. d’Esterre, T-Y Lee, K St. Lawrence. Quantifying cerebral blood flow in an adult pig ischemia model by a depth-resolved dynamic contrast-enhanced optical method. Neuroimage 2014; 94:303-11 DOI10.1016/j.neuroimage.2014.03.023.
- V Krishnaswamy, JT Elliott, DM McClatchy III, BW Pogue, KD Paulsen. Structured light scatteroscopy. Journal of Biomedical Optics 2014; 19(7):070504.
- JT Elliott, KM Tichauer, KS Samkoe, JR Gunn, KJ Sexton, and BW Pogue. Direct characterization of tracer plasma curves by fluorescence imaging of exposed carotid artery to facilitate kinetic analysis. Molecular Imaging in Biology 2014; DOI 10.1007/s11307-013-0715-y.
- KM Tichauer, M Diop, JT Elliott, Kimberly S. Samkoe, Tayabba Hasan, K St. Lawrence, and BW Pogue. Accounting for pharmacokinetic differences in dual-tracer receptor density imaging. Physics in Medicine and Biology 2014; 59(10):2341-51.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2013
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
Found in Translation
Web Extra, August 2016
Just One Question: Do you hold any patents?
Light Scattering Device Could Quickly Detect Cancer and Guide Surgery
Web Extra, September 2015