Reactive evaporation :
Metal atoms are evaporated from an evaporant source with a partial pressure of a reactive gas present in the chamber.
Reactive evaporation is preferred to direct evaporation
- During the evaporation, partial dissociation of the alloys, compounds.
- AL2O3 coatings prepared by direct evaporation are oxygen-deficient.
- TiC coatings are carbon-deficient
- Reactive evaporation can form stoichiometric oxides, alloys
- AL2O3 : evaporation in the presence of oxygen or a postdeposition anneal in oxygen
- TiC : evaporation in the presence of a partial pressure of acetylene.