Mary R. Albert
- B.S., Mathematics, Pennsylvania State University 1975
- B.E., Dartmouth 1983
- M.S., Engineering Sciences, Dartmouth 1983
- Ph.D., Applied Mechanics and Engineering Sciences, University of California, San Diego 1991
Snow and firn physics; air-snow transfer; ice cores and climate; porous media; transport phenomena
Current Research Projects
- Keegan, K.M., M.R. Albert, J.R. McConnell, and I. Baker, 2014. Climate Change and Forest Fires Synergistically Drive Widespread Melt Events of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, v.111(20), doi/10.1073/pnas.1405397111.
- Adolph, A.C., and M.R. Albert, 2014. Gas Diffusivity and Permeability through the Firn Column at Summit, Greenland: Measurements and Comparison to Microstructural Properties. The Cryosphere, v. 8, p. 319-328.
- Gregory, S.A., M.R. Albert, and I. Baker, 2014. Impact of Physical Properties and Accumulation Rate on Pore Close-off in Layered Firn. The Cryosphere, v.8, p. 91-105.
- Adolph, A., and M.R. Albert, 2013. An Improved Technique to Measure Firn Diffusivity. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, v. 61, p. 598-604.
- NEEM Community Members, 2013. Eemian Interglacial Reconstructed From a Greenland Folded Ice Core. Nature, v. 493, p. 489-494. (NEEM Community Member are: D. Dahl-Jensen, M.R. Albert, A. Aldehan, and 130 others.)
- Nghiem, S.V., D.K. Hall, T. L. Mote, M. Tedesco, M.R. Albert, K. Keegan, C.A. Shuman, N.E. DiGirolamo, G. Neumann, 2012. The Extreme Melt Across the Greenland Ice Sheet in 2012. Geophysical Research Letters, v. 39, L20502, doi:10.1029/2012GL053611.
- Bisiaux, M.M., R. Edwards, J.R. McConnell, M.R. Albert, H. Anschutz, T. Neumann, E. Isaksson, J.E. Penner, 2012. Variability of Deposition of Black Carbon to the East Antarctic Plateau. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics v. 12, p. 3799-3807.
- Scambos, T.A., M. Frezzotti, T. Haran, J. Bohlander, J. Lenaerts, M. vanden Broeke, K. Jezek, D. Long, S. Urbini. K. Farness, T. Neumann, M. Albert, J.G. Winther, 2012. Extent of low-accumulation ‘wind glaze’ areas on the East Antarctic plateau: implications for continental ice mass balance. J. Glaciol., v. 58(210), p. 633-647.
- Anschetz, H., K. Muller, E. Isaksson, J. McConnell, H. Fischer, M. Albert, J.G. Winther, 2011. Variation of Accumulation Rates Over the Last Eight Centuries on the East Antarctic Plateau. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, v. 116, 10.1029/2011JD01575.
- Langley, K., J. Kohler, K. Matsuoka, A. Sinisalo, T. Scambos, T. Neumann, A. Muto, M. Albert, J.G. Winther, 2011. Recovery Lakes, East Antarctica: Radar Assessment of Sub-Glacial Water Extent. Geophysical Research Letters v. 38.
- Lomonaco, R., M.R. Albert, I. Baker, 2011. Microstructural Evolution of Fine-Grained Layers Through the Firn Column at Summit, Greenland. Journal of Glaciology, v.57(204), p. 755-762.
- Severinghaus, J., M. Albert, Z. Courville, M. Fahnestock, K. Kawamura, S. Montzka, J. Muhle, T. Scambos, E. Shields, C. Shuman, M. Suwa, P. Tans, R. Weiss, 2010. Deep air convection in the firn at a zero-accumulation site, central Antarctica. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 293, p. 359-367.
- Fain, X., C. Ferrari, A. Dommergue, M. Albert, M. Battle, J. Severinghaus, L. Arnaud, J-M Barnola, W. Calms, C. Barbante, C. Boutron, 2010. Polar firn air reveals large-scale impact of anthropogenic mercury emissions during the 1970s. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106(38), p. 16114-16119.
- Horhold, M.W., M.R. Albert, J. Freitag, 2009. Impact of Accumulation Rate on Anisotropy and Air Permeability of Polar Firn at a High Accumulation Site. Journal of Glaciology 55(192), p. 625-630.
- Neumann, T.A., M.R. Albert, C. Engel, Z. Courville, F. Perron, 2009. Sublimation Rate and the Mass Transfer Coefficient for Snow Sublimation. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, v. 52(1-2), p. 309-315.
- Fain, X., C, Ferrari., A. Dommergue, M. Albert, M. Battle, L. Arnaud, J-M Barnola, W. Cairns, C. Barbante, C. Boutron, 2008. Mercury in the snow and firn at Summit Station, Central Greenland, and implications for the study of past atmospheric mercury levels. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, v.8,p. 3441-3457.
- Li, Li, P. Gaiser, M.R. Albert, D.L. Long, E. Twarog, 2008. WindSat Polarimetric Signatures of Snow over Greenland. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 46(9), 2622-2631.
- Courville, Z.R., M.R. Albert, M. Fahnestock, C. Shuman, L.M Cathles IV, 2007. Impact of Accumulation Hiatus on the Physical Properties of Firn. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 112, F02030, doi:10.1029/2005JF000429.
- Jordan, R.E., M.R. Albert, E. Brun, 2008. Physical Processes within Snow and Their Parameterization, Chapter II in Snow and Climate, Armstrong and Brun, eds, Cambridge University Press, p. 12-69.
- Albert, M.R, 2004. The International Polar Year. Science, (303) 1437.
- Albert, M.R., A.M. Grannas, J. Bottenheim, P. Shepson, 2002. Processes and Properties of Snow-Air Transfer in the High Arctic With Application to Interstitial Ozone at Alert, Canada. Atmospheric Environment (36) 2779-2787.
- Albert, M.R., E. Shultz, 2002. Snow and Firn Properties and Air-Snow Transport Processes at Summit, Greenland. Atmospheric Environment (35) 2789-2797.
- Lifetime National Associate of the National Research Council of the National Academies, 2011
- Department of the Army, Meritorious Civilian Service Award, 2009
- IEEE Best Journal Paper of the Year 2009 Award: Li, Gaiser, Albert, Long, Twarog, “Windsat passive microwave polarimetric signatures of the Greenland Ice sheet” IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing , v.46(9), p. 2622-2631, 2008
- U.S. Chief Scientist, Norwegian-US Scientific Traverse of East Antarctica, 2007-2010
- Congressional Antarctic Service Medal, 2000
- U.S. Army Commanders Award for Civilian Service/Partners in Education, 1999
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Women in Science Achievement Award, 1996
- Department of the Army Research and Development Award, 1989
- Executive Committee, American Geophysical Union Cryosphere Focus Group
- Associate Editor (Invited), Water Resources Research
- Review Coordinator (Invited), National Research Council of the National Academies:
- Monitoring Climate Change Impacts: Metrics at the Intersection of the Human and Earth Systems, NRC 2010
- Scientific Value of Arctic Sea Ice Imagery Derived Products, NRC 2009
- Design of the Martha Muse Award, NRC 2008
- Exploration of Antarctic Subglacial Aquatic Environments: Environmental and Scientific Stewardship, NRC 2007
- Faculty Advisor, Dartmouth Graduate Women in Science and Engineering
- Member, American Association for Advancement of Science, American Geophysical Union, International Glaciological Society
- Chair, U.S. National Committee for the International Polar Year, 2003-2005 (Committee of the NAS Polar Research Board) (Invited)
- Member (Invited), Polar Research Board, National Academy of Sciences, 2003-2006
- Member (Invited) National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs Advisory Committee (1998-2001); Committee Chair (Invited) 2000
Nearly All of Greenland’s Surface Melted Overnight in 2012—Here’s Why
May 19, 2014
Greenland’s Disappearing Glaciers—A Tale of Fire and Ice
May 19, 2014
Study: Climate Change, Fires Melted Greenland Ice Surface
May 19, 2014
Dartmouth Students Strike It Big With NSF Fellowships
April 22, 2014
Polar ice and engineering: Drilling back through time
November 26, 2013
Can the Ice Wall in Game of Thrones Survive Science?
March 27, 2013
BBC World Service - The Forum
February 16, 2013
Antarctic Ice Core Contains Unrivaled Detail of Past Climate
National Science Foundation
February 5, 2013
Mary Albert: Ice and Snow and Many Hats
February 4, 2013
Innovations in Ice Drilling Enable Abrupt Climate Change Discoveries
December 17, 2012
“Ancient Air” & “Core Science”
August 22, 2012
An inside look at Greenland’s melting surface ice
The Washington Post
August 3, 2012
Greenland ice sheet had biggest thaw since 1973 this month, scientists say
The Washington Post
July 24, 2012
IGERT Graduate Student Adds to Critical NASA Discovery
July 24, 2012
College sells 28 acres used for army research
April 19, 2012
Cold Regions Researchers And Engineers Gather In Fairlee
Vermont Public Radio
April 6, 2012
Cold Truths: new issue of Dartmouth Engineer
March 9, 2012
Dartmouth Teams Exhibit at USA Science and Engineering Festival
March 11, 2010
International Greenland Ice Coring Effort Sets New Drilling Record in 2009
August 26, 2009
Dartmouth to Lead Ice-Core Drilling Oversight Office
December 22, 2008
New Hampshire Scientists Study Global Warming
August 28, 2008
Ice researchers chip away
NH Union Leader
August 4, 2008
Dartmouth awarded NSF grant for new polar sciences, engineering grad program
June 8, 2008
GEOS - Reading Ice Cores
June 1, 2007
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
WISP Leading Women Into Engineering
Web Extra, October 2013
Graduate Student Engineering Research: Snow Albedo and Climate Change in NH
Seminar: Polar Science in a Time of Rapid Change