Sue and John Ballard '55 TT'56 Professor of Engineering
Sue and John Ballard '55 TT'56 Professor of Engineering1-603-646-3485
- B.S., Engineering Physics, University of Kansas 1973
- M.S., Physics, University of Missouri 1976
- Ph.D., Physics, University of California, Los Angeles 1981
Geospace environment; space plasma physics, modeling, simulation; magnetohydrodynamics; electromagnetic fields and waves
Current Research Projects
- Computational plasma dynamics
- Dynamics of magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling
- Geospace environment modeling
- Magnetotail asymmetry from ionospheric Hall conduction
- Simulation of polar cap fast flow channels and their impacts on auroral and magnetotail activity
- ENGS 64: Engineering Electromagnetics
- ENGS 89: Engineering Design Methodology and Project Initiation
- ENGS 90: Engineering Design Methodology and Project Completion
- Ionospheric control of magnetotail reconnection (2014), W. Lotko, R.H. Smith, B. Zhang, J.E. Ouellette, O.J. Brambles, J.G. Lyon, Science, 345(6193), 184-187, doi:10.1126/science.1252907.
- Properties of outflow-driven sawtooth substorms (2013), J.E. Ouellette, O.J. Brambles, J.G. Lyon, W. Lotko, B.N. Rogers, J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics 118, 3223–3232, doi:10.1002/jgra.50309.
- Solar and Space Physics: A Science for a Technological Society (2013), W. Lotko (contributing author, Panel on Atmosphere-Ionosphere-Magnetosphere Interactions), National Academy Press, ISBN: 978-0-309-16428-3.
- Enhancement of thermospheric mass density by soft electron precipitation (2012), B. Zhang, W. Lotko, O. Brambles, M. Wiltberger, W. Wang, P. Schmitt, J. Lyon, Geophys. Res. Lett. 39, L20102, doi:10.1029/2012GL053519.
- Magnetosphere sawtooth oscillations induced by ionospheric outflow (2011), O.J. Brambles, W. Lotko, B. Zhang, M. Wiltberger, J. Lyon, R.J. Strangeway, Science 332, 1183, doi:10.1126/science.1202869.
- The magnetosphere-ionosphere system from the perspective of plasma circulation: A tutorial (2007), W. Lotko, J. Atmos. Solar-Terr. Phys. 69(3), 191-211, doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2006.08.011.
- Inductive magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling (2004), W. Lotko, J. Atmos. Solar-Terr. Phys., 66(15-16), 1443-1456, doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2004.03.027.
- Auroral Plasma Physics (2003), W. Lotko (contributing author) edited by G. Paschmann, S. Haaland and R. Treumann. International Space Science Institute, vol. 15, Springer, ISBN: 978-1402009631.
See William Lotko's CV (PDF) for additional publications
- Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- Affiliate Scientist, High Altitude Observatory, National Center for Atmospheric Research (current)
- Dartmouth Society of Fellows (current)
- International Space Science Institute, Bern, Team Investigation of Global Conductance Pattern and its Influence on the Dynamics of Geospace (current)
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics (2005-11)
- Chair, Senior Review of the NASA Mission Operations and Data Analysis Program for the Heliophysics Extended Missions (2013)
- Research Area Coordinator and Focus Group Co-Chair, NSF Geospace Environment Modeling Program (current)
- Panelist, National Research Council, Decadal Strategy for Solar and Space Physics: A Science for a Technological Society (2010-11)
- Project Team Leader, NASA Living With a Star Targeted Research & Technology Program (2007-11)
- Co-Investigator, Center for Integrated Space Weather Modeling (2002-13)
- New Hampshire Space Grant Consortium (current)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
Seven Faculty Members Named as Society of Fellows Mentors
September 19, 2014
Space Weather: How the ionosphere gains influence
July 11, 2014
Generating Sawtooth Oscillations
June 3, 2011
Nuts and Bolts: Students who’ve never wielded a tool take an engineering course
Dartmouth Alumni Magazine
March 7, 2010
Space Weather Starts at the Sun
Dartmouth Faculty - Scholarship Today
June 19, 2004
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
The Space Weathermen
A Few of Our Favorite Things
Engineering by Design
Construction: On the Move
From Idea to Invoice
Construction: Beam Team
Leadership: UConn Prof Joseph Helble Named Dean
Leadership: Changing of the Dean
Dartmouth Engineering Professor William Lotko
Seminar: Forecasting Space Weather