The McGuire Family Prize for Societal Impact
The McGuire Family Prize for Societal Impact recognizes and rewards Dartmouth community members who have contributed toward or are responsible for making a significant positive impact on humanity, society, or the environment.
About the Prize
The Prize — established through the generosity of Thayer Board of Advisors member Terry McGuire Th'82 P'08 and his wife Carolyn Carr McGuire Tu'83 P'08 — will be given every three years in the amount of $100,000.
Areas of impact for consideration include:
- technological innovations
- organizational creation
- societal leadership
- betterment of humanity
- environmental stewardship
- fundamental discovery
Recipients will be invited to visit Dartmouth and participate in classroom discussions, lectures and/or other activities that give students and/or the broader Dartmouth community an opportunity to learn about the recipient's human-centered impact on individuals, society, and the world.
The Prize may be awarded to any member of the Dartmouth community such as a student, faculty or staff member, alumnus, or friend of Dartmouth, and can be given posthumously.
Nomination / Selection Process
The deadline for nominations is March 7, 2022. Nominations may be submitted by using the form below.
The selection process, rules and criteria are at the discretion of the Dean of Engineering, or her designee, and the Prize Selection Committee.
Prize Selection Committee
- Eric Fossum (chair), John H. Krehbiel Sr. Professor for Emerging Technologies
- Susannah Heschel, Eli M. Black Distinguished Professor of Jewish Studies
- Bob Lasher '88, Senior Vice President for Advancement
- Lorie Loeb, Professor of Computer Science
- Dean Madden, Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Kofi Odame, Associate Professor of Engineering
- Andrew Samwick, Sandra L. and Arthur L. Irving '72a P'10 Professor of Economics
Nominations for the 2022 Prize have closed.