- BS, civil engineering, Clarkson University 1972
- MS, Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth 1984
- PhD, materials science and engineering, Northwestern University 1992
Properties and mechanics of geologic materials; granular media mechanics; contact mechanics; flow behavior of polycrystalline ice
- Ringelberg, D.B., D.M. Cole, K.L. Foley, C.M. Ruidaz-Santiago and C.M. Reynolds (2013) Compressive strength of soils amended with a bacterial succinoglycan: Effects of soluble salts and organic matter. In revision, Canadian Geotechnical Journal.
- Cole, D.M. and M.A. Hopkins (2013) The contact properties of naturally occurring geologic materials: Experimental observations. Submitted, Intl. J. Geomechanics.
- Cole, D., D. Ringelberg, D. and C.M. Reynolds (2011) Small-Scale Mechanical Properties of Biopolymers. J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0000680
- Cole, D.M., L. Uthus, M.A. Hopkins and B.R. Knapp (2010) Normal and sliding contact experiments on gneiss. Granular Matter, 1434-5021 (Print) 1434-7636 (Online) DOI: 0.1007/s10035-010-0165-z.
- Cole, D.M. and J.F. Peters (2008) Grain-scale mechanics of geologic materials and lunar simulants under normal loading. Granular Matter, Vol. 10, pp. 171-185, DOI: 10.1007/s10035-007-0066-y
- Song, M., I. Baker and D.M. Cole (2008) The effect of particles on creep rate and microstructures of granular ice during creep. J. Glaciol., Vol. 54, pp. 533-537.
- Cole, D.M. and J.F. Peters (2007) A physically based approach to granular media mechanics: Grain-scale experiments, initial results and implications to numerical modeling. Granular Matter, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 309-321, DOI: 10.1007/s10035-007-0046-2.
- Song, M., D.M. Cole and I. Baker (2007) Effect of fine particles on the flow behavior of polycrystalline ice and glaciers - (I) a dislocation-based relaxation model. Chinese Journal of Geophysics (Acta Geophysica Sinica), Vol. 50, pp. 126-130.
- Song, M., D.M. Cole and I. Baker (2007) Effect of fine particles on the flow behavior of polycrystalline ice - (II) anelastic behavior. Chinese Journal of Geophysics (Acta Geophysica Sinica), Vol. 50, pp. 1156-1160.
- Song, M., D.M. Cole and I. Baker (2006) An Investigation of the Effects of Particles on the Creep of Polycrystalline Ice. Scripta Materialia, Vol. 55, pp. 91-94.