University of Nova Gorica
Three times a week during the course, students will be assigned two documents (scientific papers, magazine articles, etc.) which they are to read and critique in writing, as follows:
1. Title, author(s), source, year (2 lines)
2. Brief summary (3 to 10 lines)
3. Source of information (new data, new analysis of existing data, author’s personal opinion, ...) (no more than 2 lines)
4. Targeted readership (and possibly reason for this choice) (no more than 2 lines)
5. Conclusions derived from the information (findings, points made, distinction between certainty and likelihood, recommendations, ...) (3 to 10 lines)
6. Student’s own opinion (student’s reaction, disagreement with or reinforcement of a point made by the author, comparison with other documents or personal experience, extrapolation into future, …) (5 to 10 lines).
The length of a reading critique should not exceed one page.
Please type and do not forget to include your name at the top or bottom
Grading of critiques will be performed as follows:
0 point – Critique not done or greatly deficient
1 point – Deficient critique (mixing of items between summary and conclusions; vague or ill-argued opinion, …)
2 points – Critique meeting expectations
3 points – Critique exceeding expectations (precise yet succinct summary and conclusions, unusually thoughtful opinion, …)
Return to readings page