The Strafford Ball is held the first Saturday in October of each year, usually in S. Strafford VT.
*Sometimes (2006, 2007, 2012, 2017) this is also Columbus day weekend; then the ball is typically held in Fairlee VT.
The Nineteenth Annual Strafford Ball
October 5, 2013
featuring music by
Trip to Norwich
Thal Alyward on violin, viola
Rachel Clark on flute, whistle, accordian
Carol Compton on piano, recorders
and calling by
Barrett Hall, S. Strafford, VT
Enjoy a wonderful evening of best-beloved Playford style dances in a
charming Vermont village hall during the height
of Autumn color. Then, if you like, socialize with other ball
dancers at a country brunch and take in the fall foliage with
a Vermont walk or a New Hampshire mountain hike on Sunday.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Admission lottery (if necessary): August 15
Dance classes (optional)
Callers: Chris Levey and David Millstone
Local musicians lead by Carol Compton
Location: Marion Cross School Multipurpose Room, Norwich VT EXCEPT Tues Sept 11 which will be in the Norwich Grange
Directions: From I-91 exit 13 go toward Norwich and continue on Main Street into town;
Marion Cross School will be on your right looking across the Norwich Green (you can turn right just past the Gazebo for parking).
For the Grange, stay on Main Street past the school, past Tracy Hall on your right and Dan & Whit's and
the Norwich Inn your left. The Grange is across the street about three houses down from the Inn. It is a gray building with a porch on the front.
Please wear clean soft soled shoes
Free to ball registrants and to any others with an interest in learning some
of the fine points of the dances on the ball program. Donations for out of
town musicians are accepted.
The ball dances will be taught in four sessions prior to ball:
The Ball Weekend
Saturday afternoon review session:
Saturday Dinner: Due to the close proximity of fine local restaurants, the ball will not
be catered on-site as it is when we are in Strafford. Space will also be provided
for picnic dinners in the hall.
- Saturday, 1-4pm
- Music by The Turning Stile:
- Aaron Marcus on piano and concertina
- Joanne Garton on fiddle
Barrett Hall , South Strafford, VT
The Strafford Ball
Sunday Country Brunch
- Saturday, 8pm
Trip to Norwich
Thal Alyward: violin, viola
Rachel Clark: flute, whistle, accordian
Carol Compton: piano, recorders
- Refreshments provided at mid-ball break.
- Location: Barrett Hall , South Strafford, VT
Sunday Country Walks and Hikes
- Sunday, 9AM-Noon
- Location: Heuboden Farm (Chris and Barbara's house - map sent with acceptance packet), Thetford, VT
- No charge to ball registrants, no need to bring food.
- In the late morning on Sunday, we will lead short country walks around nearby meadows and woods.
- As in the past, we expect to lead a mountain hike and/or a longer country walk for those who
would like to spend time Sunday afternoon enjoying the fall foliage.
Previous Years Strafford Balls:
- Previous years Dance Lists:
- Previous Years Condensed Dance Instructions
- Combined previous years dance list ('95-'11) (pdf)
2001 Ball Video Clips:
- 2001 Ball Photos (by Marty Stock)
- 2000 Ball Photos by Marty Stock
and year 2000 Ball Photos by Paul Brown
- 1998 Ball Photos
- PHOTOGRAPHS from 1995 ball (~100K)
For more information about English Country Dancing, visit the
Country Dance and Song Society of America
For listings of New England folk daces, see the Dance Gypsy.
This site maintained by