The Strafford Ball is held the first Saturday in October of each year, usually in S. Strafford VT.
*Sometimes (2006, 2007, 2012, 2017) this is also Columbus day weekend; then the ball is typically held in Fairlee VT.
The Twenty-Second Annual Strafford Ball
October 1, 2016
featuring music by
The Bare Necessities
Earl Gaddis on violin, viola
Mary Lea on violin, viola
Peter Barnes on winds
Jacqueline Schwab on piano
and calling by
Barrett Hall, S. Strafford, VT
Enjoy a wonderful evening of best-beloved Playford style dances in a
charming Vermont village hall during the height
of Autumn color. Then, if you like, socialize with other ball
dancers at a country brunch and take in the fall foliage with
a Vermont walk or a New Hampshire mountain hike on Sunday.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Admission lottery (if necessary): August 15
Dance classes (optional)
The ball dances will be taught in four sessions prior to ball:
- TIME: 7-9:30PM
- Thurs 8th Sept
- Tues 13th
- Thurs 22th
- Tues 27th
- Callers: Chris Levey and David Millstone
Local musicians led by Carol Compton
- Location: Marion Cross School Multipurpose Room, Norwich VT.
[SUBJECT TO LAST MINUTE CHANGE-check back here or look for sign on the door for a nearby location]
Directions to Marion Cross School: From I-91 exit 13 go toward Norwich and continue on Main Street into town;
Marion Cross School will be on your right looking across the Norwich Green (you can turn right just past the Gazebo for parking).
A potential alternative location is Tracy Hall: it is just across the street from Marion Cross, next to the white church.
A second potential alternative location is the Grange; to get there, stay on Main Street past the school, past Tracy Hall on your right
and Dan & Whit's and
the Norwich Inn your left. The Grange is across the street about three houses down from the Inn.
It is a gray building with a porch on the front.
- Please wear clean soft soled shoes
- Free to ball registrants and to any others with an interest in learning some
of the fine points of the dances on the ball program. Donations for out of
town musicians are accepted.
October - The Ball Weekend
Saturday afternoon review session:
Saturday Dinner (5:30PM:
will be catered in the hall. MENU HERE. There are few restaurants nearby, so we encourage you to sign up for this. You are also welcome to
to bring your own dinner and eat at the hall with us. There is a link to a list of alternative restaurants below.
- Saturday, 1-4pm
- Music by Trip to Norwich:
- Carol Compton on keyboard and recorders
- Thal Aylward on violin and viola
- Rachel Clark on flute and accordion
Barrett Hall , South Strafford, VT
The Strafford Ball
Sunday Country Brunch
Sunday Country Walks and Hikes
- Sunday, 9AM-Noon
- Location: Heuboden Farm (Chris and Barbara's house - map sent with acceptance packet), Thetford, VT
- No charge to ball registrants, no need to bring food.
- In the late morning on Sunday, we will lead short country walks around nearby meadows and woods.
- As in the past, we may also lead a mountain hike and/or a longer country walk for those who
would like to spend time Sunday afternoon enjoying the fall foliage.
Local Lodging and Restaurants
A list of lodging possibilities, including the option of staying with local dancers will be sent with your acceptance letter.
Nearby Dartmouth College also maintains a list of local
dining options which you may find helpful.
Previous Years Strafford Balls:
- Previous years Dance Lists:
- Previous Years Condensed Dance Instructions
- Combined all years dance list ('95-'15) (pdf)
2014 photos by Sharon Schenkel on facebook
2001 Ball Video Clips:
- 2001 Ball Photos (by Marty Stock)
- 2000 Ball Photos by Marty Stock
and year 2000 Ball Photos by Paul Brown
- 1998 Ball Photos
- PHOTOGRAPHS from 1995 ball (~100K)
For more information about English Country Dancing, visit the
Country Dance and Song Society of America
For listings of New England folk daces, see the Dance Gypsy.
Short URL for this Strafford Ball site: http://tinyurl.com/StraffordBall
This site maintained by