Updates on how the bus work is going:

July 29 2005

We arrived in Philadelphia on the evening of Wednesday the 27th. We scrimmaged Dan Mazzucco ‘98s team and even after picking up Dartmouth Alums Mazucco, Ivan Cestero ’01 and Sean Cushing ’96 we were unable to pull out a victory. There was a terrific thunderstorm however, and a good time was had by all.

Many thanks to Dan Yi ’06 and his family for hosting us. We stayed the night then woke up and went to the Academy of Natural Sciences for tabling and presentations. The biggest stage we’ve had yet was viewed by some of the youngest audiences we’ve yet seen. With some slight modifications, the presentation was made more suitable for very young audiences. We made two presentations, then returned to Yi’s for a BBQ, then off to play at Philly summer league. After another scrimmage in which we were unable to pull out a victory, we retired to Dan’s house to sleep.

The next morning, we headed to Athletic Summer Camp to teach them how to play Ultimate. A joint sponsorship with PADA, the Philadelphia Area Disc Association, who we thank for a great pizza lunch and a great event. We then headed to Wildwood for the beach tournament.

- Rory
July 26 2005

The bussers woke up this morning bright and early to the sound of “When the Saints go Marching”, aka Aekta’s cell phone alarm. They quickly readied themselves for a trip downtown for a television interview with the local branch of the ABC network. Bram Reichbaum, a local ultimate player and the BGB’s Pittsburgh host, navigated the bus downtown with plenty of time before the interview. As the bussers waited to be filmed, they were surprised to be approached by a local radio station, KDKA, for an interview. Following this exclusive, Doug and Aekta were wired and miked for the Bus’ 5-minute spot on live television.

After their media-filled morning, the group headed downtown for a private “Ducky Tour” of Pittsburgh courtesy of Bram. The gang “quack-quack-quacked” at many a Pittsburgh local and Rory got to test his hand at driving amphibious vehicles. Next stop for the bus was a bit out of town to present at an Air Quality Conference for local teachers.

Following the presentation (and some refreshing iced tea and fruit punch), the group headed back towards Pittsburgh for a scrimmage with the Pittsburgh Ultimate Summer League. The bussers’ excitement to stretch their legs out and run around was cut short by a series of intense thunderstorms. The game may have ended, but the fun continued, as many a summer leaguer took shelter from the rain in the bus. People filtered in and out of the Bus throughout the storm to chat, hang out, and learn about the bus.

As the lightening continued and summer leaguers left, the Bus rolled away from the fields back to the Fire Station, their home during their stay in Pittsburgh (courtesy of hosts Bram and John). That evening some bussers ventured back out into the storm to play pickup, while others were content to order pizza, watch The Incredibles, and slide down the firepole a few times. After a jam-packed day, the gang slept well, dreaming of Duck Boats.

- Aekta
July 24 2005

The second day we spent in DC was one of the few free days of the trip. Most of the bussers were pretty tired and we spent quite a while sitting around breakfast at Seigs’ house.

When we finally left, Rory, Saul, Rain, and I all took the Metro into the city. Rory and I checked out the museums of Natural History (cool stuff but dumbed down exhibits) and American Indian (hard museum to make, not that interesting for me).

Around 6 we all got back to the Sigelman residence and played boot at a nearby field. Boot was a lot of fun, and really woke me up after wandering around museums all day. (Boot is like halfcourt basketball for ultimate.) Unfortunately, this wakefulness didn’t last long, as most of the bus passed out soon after a wonderful dinner.

- Kevin
July 23 2005

Day One in DC.

After a night at Drew amd Slomo's apartment partying with the alums we got up early and headed into the city to set up shop at a small farmers market. We parked the bus on the sidewalk and then set up our table in a vendors booth. The market coordinator gave us a much needed boost of coffee and scones, and for the next several hours we sat in the shade talking to people and eating fresh, locally grown sweet corn, cantaloupes, and artisan cheeses. We then bussed across town to Independence Ave, where we hopped aboard a Habitat for Humanity benefit concert. Several of us (Arial, Saul, Aekta, Rain, Rory and I) joined various teams and proved how out of shape we were while the other explored the area and tabled. The ultimate was fun, although not terribly competitive (I think my team scored 5 points over the course of the day), and it was great to have the chance to run around and burn off some steam- turns out that sitting on a bus and eating "Annies Snack Bunnies" for two meals a day isnt the ideal athletic conditioning.

THe bus then headed over to Greg Heltzer '99's house while the chase car enjoyed some creative navigation and took a tour of several surrounding states. Eventually we all met in Bethesda, at the house, for tennis, a pool, a grill, and a pile of recent alums. Unfortunately, we had to clear out to make an appearance at a rosham tournament at a bar in Adams Morgan, only to find out on arrival that there was a ten dollar entry fee. We had already walked/metroed all the way out, though, so we took the night off amd jumped around between various bars, clubs, and "Original Jumbo Slice Pizza" places. Highlights of the night included Craig Davis '01, the alums' competitive drive to out-party the bussers, and the metro ride home, when three girls loudly ruined the end of the new Harry Potter book and almost got chased off the train by the rest of its occupants.

- Doug
July 21 2005

Continuing eastward, our first stop east of the Mississippi on our way home was Nashville, Tennessee. The plan was to meet up with Energy Action’s “Road to Detroit” kids who are traveling around the country in Middlebury’s old vegetable oil powered bus collecting signatures on a petition demanding that the automakers of America build more fuel efficient, cleaner burning, union built cars. Meeting up with another group of college age idealists going around in a bus was like meeting the evil twin you never knew you had, or maybe we’re their evil twin? We scoped out each other’s buses, analyzed the strange group dynamics in the other group, and after a brief meeting we were on our way to the venue.

Energy Action had been tabeling at rock concerts on their trip, a good place to collect a lot of signatures from young people. The Road to Detroit bus had gone to the Dave Mathew’s concert the previous night and with their help we were allowed to join them tabeling at a Cake concert. This meant we all got in early to the concert, setup our table and merchandise, got cool “vendor” bracelets, and got to watch the band go through sound check before the show all for free.

People started pouring in once the sun started to go down. With three opening acts, it took a while for Cake to take the stage, but in the mean time we were meeting a ton of people. Aside from the swarms of twelve-year olds dressed like they were twenty (who couldn’t care less about alternative fuels) there were a lot of people who did want to hear about our project. We passed out a lot of information, sold a few T-shirts, and hopefully got a few concertgoers thinking.

Once Cake took the stage we broke down our table, packed up our stuff, and made our way into the crowd to enjoy the monotonal vocal stylings of Cake. At this point the air had cooled down a bit to a sultry 95 degrees with 100% humidity, and being packed up against the sweaty bodies of strangers was the best way to stay cool. Weather aside, the concert was awesome.

Unfortunately we needed to be in Washinton D.C. the next day so we had to leave before they had finished their set. We all piled onto the bus before midnight and began our fourteen hour drive from the country music capitol to the nation’s capitol.

- Crank
July 18 2005

We rolled into St. Louis from Kansas late Sunday evening for our first night of beds and showers in about a week. Monday we spent the day catching up on sleep and email and getting logistics and engineering work done. After a hearty meal of Chinese food with my parents, we headed down to Tower Grove Park where we tabled and played pickup with the St. Louis crowd, followed by some post-game socializing at Harry’s Bar. Then it was back to my house for some late night swimming.

Tuesday we went for a vegetarian breakfast (compliments of a graduation gift certificate given to me by a family friend) where we had our second “group dynamics” session. Next stop was my highschool and the Aim High summer academic enrichment program. We taught about 60 inner-city kids the basics of ultimate and throwing a Frisbee, and then played some chaotic but fun games with the kids and had lunch with them afterwards. After lunch we headed downtown to table on the riverfront in front of the Arch—our location was awesome at the base of the arch steps, with the riverboat music in the background, ice-cream truck across the street and plenty of pedestrians to talk to. Then we mosied over to the Loop for an Alumni dinner at Fitzs’, where we filled up on root beer floats and showed the bus to alums and parking lot passers-by for a good hour or two. A few wind-down drinks at Blueberry Hill, and we headed home.

We packed up early the next day and drove on to the small town of Pacific, Missouri for a breakfast event. This town is part of a sustainable community partnership that includes environmentally conscious development and a green transportation initiative. We ate at the local coffee shop, gave our presentation, and talked to about 30 residents and some reporters for a few hours. The small town atmosphere was a nice mix-up for us, and flattening coins on the railroad tracks was also a highlight.

Next stop: Nashville.

- Brooking
July 17 2005

We woke up in a Wichita motel this morning. We headed out as soon as we could since we were expecting a long day of driving. Several hours later we were at Cliff’s aunt Rindy and uncle Will’s home in Stull, Kansas. Rindy and Will showed us some country hospitality, even though they said that they weren’t used to entertaining and that we were the biggest group they’d had at their home in a long time. They served us a delicious lunch, sandwiches and potato salad from the garden. Rindy showed me and Lorraine the garden and Will and Cliff and Rory talked about home building. Though it was pretty hot, we spent a pleasant afternoon in the backyard, kicking back, eating, and having conversation. A few hose showers later, we piled back into the bus and drove to Brooking’s house in St. Louis. Her parents welcomed us home after midnight. Some of us showered, some swam, and some went straight to sleep.

- Cliff
July 16 2005

After driving through the desert in the night we made our way through New Mexico and into Kansas around midday. The heat was on. Running out of grease we made a pit stop in the small town of Greensburg, KS. The swimming hole we had spotted on the map turned out to be a fishing lake that didn’t look so inviting. We scored nearly 100 gallons of choice grease from the friendly folks at the Kansan Restaurant. We waited for sunset at the public pool, a feature we just couldn’t pass up. We pressed on for Wichita and found ourselves a Walmart. Turns out they’re not cool with having tents in their parking lot, so we moved across the road to the friendly Cheap Hotel with half the crew in a room and the rest in the bus out in the parking lot. Finally time to sleep.

- Saul
July 14 2005

We left San Diego on Thursday night in the blistering heat, so hot that we were forced to stop at a farmer’s market for a few hours while the sun went down. We bought $0.20 oranges and avocadoes and ate in the shade. It was clear that given the temperatures in the desert and the inability of the bus to cool itself that the overnight drive would be advisable. The nighttime desert was beautiful but still hot but it made the oil flow nicely.

We arrived at the Painted Desert National Park at around 10:00 AM Friday morning. We parked in the lot and planned a presentation for 1:30. Meanwhile we cooked Annie’s and enjoyed bottomless rootbeer floats from the snack bar. We presented to a dozen park rangers and 20-30 visiting families, many of whom seemed to be very interested in how simple the conversion to vegetable oil could be for a car.

Afterwards we had some modifications to make to the bus so while some made dinner and others wrote postcards a new filter housing was attached to the undercarriage. We then went for a short walk around some of the lookouts to the painted desert. The red sands, white sandstone and blue clays were stunning. Though the only petrified would we would see would be in the courtyard of the visitor centre, it was a good day overall. As we finished dinner and watched a truly impressive lightning storm roll in as the sun set magnificently, we looked forward to another night on the road and cooler temperatures in Kansas.

- Rory
July 13 2005

Today was an interesting day... Since the chase car had been leaking diesal yesterday, and the bus needed to have new oil filters installed, we decided we needed to stay in San Diego an extra day to do car work. To do this we first had to get the car to a place where if we leaked a little diesel onto the ground we wouldnt get fined or burned at the stake or anything, so after priming the car with the veg oil transfer pump, we took the bus and the Mercedes to Orsi's old high school. Up on blocks, diesel dripping from every surface of the engine, the car was, at first, a tough nut to crack... we found the leak eventualy however. It turned out that the fittings that connected the fuel rails to the injector pump were leaking (just because the car is really old and the rubber was cracked). We called around to see who would be able to fix this problem for us (we had neither the parts nor the special socket to do it ourselves). We were first told that we might as well get a new vehicle because there was no way to fix it for less than 2 or 3 thousand. Only slightly stunned we kept calling and found a dealer that would fix it by the following day for $350.

After that exciting news we all drove down to Pacifc Beach and hung out until dinner at this Mexican joint called Fidel's. Orsi's mom treated us all to a bunch of food and margaritas (both very good). I hear Doug especially liked his fish taco with a side of 50 lime slices.

We ended the day with something I have never seen before, waves glowing from the red tide. Sooooo coooool. Walking on the beach the sand would light up and the crashing waves glowed pale green.

- Mike
July 12 2005

We woke up this morning bright and early, and left Santa Barbara with both Andy Fisher ’03 and Ivan Cestero ’01 with us for the day. The drive started off fairly mundane, until we hit traffic in Los Angeles. There, as we were switching from diesel to oil, in lane 2 of 6 lanes of traffic, we stalled completely. There we were, sitting ducks in traffic with nowhere to go as angry Californians honked at us from all sides. We tried calling 911, who promptly put us on hold; apparently there are a lot of emergencies in LA. Just when we were giving up hope, a little truck pulled up behind us and the driver shouted “Do you need a push?” Next thing we know we are getting pushed to the side of the road, through the traffic. We finally made it onto the shoulder, where we could hand prime the engine and continue on to Carlsbad.

Once in we reached Carlsbad, we pulled the bus up right against the beach and set up shop. For the rest of the afternoon, we gave tours of the bus to passerbys and hung out on the beach. We gave our presentation to a group, then headed down to learn how to surf. Once in the massive west coast waves, we surfed, body surfed, and sea kayaked until we had sand everywhere and conceded defeat to the waves. Then we headed back to Doug’s cousins house for dinner. After playing around on the trampoline, we were treated to a fantastic bar-b-que dinner. Then we sat around the fire chatting and finally headed to bed full and happy.

- Ariel
July 10 2005

San Francisco: The Big Green Bus rolled across the Golden Gate Bridge right on the tails of the famous San Francisco fog late on Friday evening as we made our way down to Menlo Park for a Barbeque event with Dave Assmussen ’02 and his company Velocity 11. The bussers were welcomed San Francisco style with sourdough bread, Ghirardelli chocolate, and other BBQ fare. Meanwhile, the Big Green Bus Chase Car was getting lost in the city, San Francisco style; hills at every corner, blinding fog, and faced with the inability to make a left turn anywhere. Fortunately Dave and the folk at Velocity 11 were kind enough to fire up the grill to feed the Chase Car folk and then give the entire group a tour of the Velocity 11’s futuristic robotic creations.

After getting our bellies filled, the bussers headed back to San Francisco to Vi Le’s (’03) apartment in the Mission. Dartmouth alums Francis Motsinger (Mots) ’03 and Ben Risk ’03 came over to Vi’s place to hang out with the bussers and reminisced late into the night.

The next morning the group was awakened by the scrumptious smell of Rain and Saul as they cooked up egg, bacon, and cheese sandwiches. After a leisurely breakfast the group rallied over to Ocean Beach for their first dip into the Pacific Ocean. Following a rousing game of “Dinosaur Attacks”, the gang left the beach for a scrimmage with the captains of the San Francisco Ultimate League at Glen Park. The scrimmage was followed by spirited pick-up with the local ultimate-goers. Special thanks to Rory’s aunt and uncle for a delicious lunch brought to the fields to feed the hungry clan after playing an afternoon of ultimate.

As the gang finished up giving tours of the bus the San Francisco fog brought a chill to the air, and so we packed up and headed to the Castro to Liz Gannes ’04 and Mike Nowak’s ’02 place. The group was ready to unwind and Gannes pointed us in the right direction for a fun evening on the town. Many hours were spent experiencing the local flavor of Anchor Steam beer at Zeitgeist, followed by an excursion to Sparky’s (a 24 hour diner) where the bussers tasted the true eclecticism of San Francisco, from their hostess’ 2 foot tall blond Mohawk, to Belle and Sebastian crooning on the diner stereo, to the delicious chai milkshakes. The group left Sparky’s and wandered back to bed laughing and quite content, San Francisco nightlife made a quite an impression on us.

Sunday morning the gang woke up slowly; with no planned events many bussers were excited to sleep in and take things at a personal pace. Members of the group took the day off to explore the city in different ways; Doug and Aekta (previous San Francisco habitants) wandered around their old digs, revisiting familiar spots and using the Muni capriciously to discover new ones. Brooking and Ariel spent the morning and afternoon practicing and hanging out with a local Co-ed Ultimate team that they may play for next year. Meanwhile, Saul, Crank, Orsi, Jean, and Dave had a blast heckling an ongoing wedding in Golden Gate Park while sitting on a bench eating fresh kettle corn.

The group met up again around 6pm eager to share stories, and even more eager to make their way over to Mill Valley, where the Reynold family (Crank’s aunt, uncle, and cousin) were awaiting us in their idyllic hilltop home with a scrumptious dinner. After one too many servings of Aunt Sheila’s cherry pie, the team sat down to watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels before falling asleep dreaming of San Fransisco.

- Aekta
July 8 2005

After leaving Portland near 8PM on Thursday, we began the long haul to San Francisco, stopping around 3AM to sleep at a Wal-Mart. After being rudely awakened at 6AM in the lot by sprinklers, we pushed on, heading down into beautiful northern California. We enjoyed the breathtaking views of the ocean and the impressively sized redwood trees, but didn't have time to stop for long. We did take a break in Arcata at Footprint Recycling, a company that makes BioDiesel from locally collected WVO. After getting an educational tour of the facilities from one of the guys there (who also played ultimate -- we first heard of Footprint at Potlatch), we were given a bunch of filtered vegetable oil, and filled our diesel tank with Biodiesel. Moving on, we drove many hours down 101 into San Francisco. Though shrouded in fog, the Golden Gate Bridge was still impressive. The chase car took off ahead of the bus and decided to take a detour into the city to look for a place to set up the bus the following day, and ended up getting hopelessly lost in the "no left turn" streets of SF.

We were a few hours late to our dinner, but Dave Assmussen '02 had a delicious barbeque still waiting for us in Menlo Park. Finally, we drove back to the Mission and spent the night at Vi Le '03's apartment.

- Orsi
July 6 2005

We woke up for a leisurely breakfast at the Titcomb’s house on the edge of Lake Sammamish in Seattle and were treated to a leisurely breakfast. After we ran out of milk, some were willing to soak their cereal in ice cream mix*. Before the Titcombs of our generation left for Chicago, we cheered the family to the tune of Country Roads to show our gratitude for their hospitality. Then hit the road ourselves, this time for Portland, 180 miles due south.

Six hours later, we arrived in Cedar Mill, a northwestern suburb of Portland. Where we stayed at my (Lorraine’s) parents’ house. We soon took advantage of the pool, the trampoline, the ripe berries on the vine, and the chance to hang out with two cool middle-schoolers, Nick and Deserin. The night was finished off with a delicious meal by Mama and David and some chillin’ around the fire pit with marshmallows and biscuits.

Without commitments the following day until 6pm, the group split off to work on different tasks after another delicious meal by the parents. The logistics committee met to rework the next few weeks of the trip, adding Santa Barbara and unfortunately cutting Denver. Orsi spent the day updating the website. Daver, Rory, Nick and Deserin spent the day finding oil for the bus. A few lucky people headed into town to catch a bit of the City. The greasers, Cliff and Mike, along with the owner of the chase car, Doug, got up before everyone to begin work on converting the Mercedes 190D to run on vegetable oil. Along with the parts and instructions from a veggie conversion kit, they worked for a full day and were almost completely finished by the time we rolled out of Portland.

We finished off our time in Portland playing a mixed team, Whoreshack. First a round of ultimate, then a round of Wa!, then some fancy hula whooping by Scottie of Whoreshack and Ariel. Adios Portland, we’re off to San Francisco, but not before spending a night in a Walmart in Grants Pass, OR!

*Recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream

4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
seeds from one whole vanilla bean

Heat cream in a pot on the stove, but make sure it does not boil. Add the vanilla and dissolve the sugar in the cream mixture. After the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and store in the fridge.

Begin churning the ice cream 45 minutes before you are ready to eat it. Pour the mix into the center chamber of your ice cream maker. Fill the outer chamber with ice and rock salt—add a handful of rock salt for every two pounds of ice. Top with extra rock salt.

Churn. Keep churning. Find a friend to churn for a while. Make friends by offering ice cream in exchange for churning. Continue churning until the cream becomes thick. Then eat it as quickly as possible. Afterward, have a competition to see who can hold their hand in the salty ice water the longest.

- Rain
July 5 2005

The Titcomb's house on Lake Sammamish, just outside Seattle.

This was one of my favorite days of the trip.

We woke up to a green egg breakfast, thanks to Aekta, our bitter non-egg eater, who decided to sabotage our scrambled egg mix with such odd ingredients as gel icing, icecream mix, curry, oregano, and green food coloring. Luckily, we stopped her before she added any more than trace quantities of these special ingredients, and the eggs were still tasty.

Then we headed off to a day camp in the city called "Kids Time", where we were greeted by a well-mannered crowd of 6-11 year olds who patiently sat through our presentation. It turns out that the Bus makes for a great traveling jungle gym, and the kids had a great time climbing and drawing us creative pictures. The afternoon was spent game trading -- we taught them ultimate, they taught us a special version of four square they call "pogo".

Most bussers went into the city while a handful headed to the Titcombs to cook up a salmon feast from the Potlatch leftovers. And a feast it was. The meal and the evening made for a night to remember, with stuffed stomachs, swimming in the lake at twilight, a campfire and s'more making, live music from our own talented musicians, and a healthy dose of Bus wrestling which may or may not have involved icecubes. All went to bed stuffed, iced, tired, and content.

- Brooking
July 4 2005

Potlatch. The biggest co-ed tournament any of us has ever been to. The original impetus for the whole trip. After a gruelling but staggeringly beautiful drive over the Canadian Rockies, we arrived at dusk to set up camp on Friday night. After cooking dinner and setting up tents we socialized briefly with the dozens of really cool people camped right near us, before falling exhausted into bed.

Day 1: Saturday.
We woke right before our games, ate a hasty breakfast and cleated up. We also collected our brand-spanking new jerseys and hoodies sponsored by Gaia Ultimate, for which we thank them very much. Our first opponents would be “Tastes Like Burning” a sweet team with Ralph Wiggum on their jerseys. We came out a little sluggish early, but picked it up, took half and controlled the game despite the close final score of 14-13 for The BGB. We cheered them with some modified Simpsons quotes and went along to play the “Flying Possums”. Using our superior youth we ran this team into the second half again. A good spirited game but we managed to get this one without going to universe point: Final score 13-11. Our last game versus “Galaxy” did go to universe point, however, and with Vegetable-related fire we pulled it out at the last minute and won 13-12. We gave them their homemade ice-cream, our Potlatch gift (with many thanks to Jeanne Williamson, Rain’s mom, for prepping the stuff for us) and got our pizza to eat on the bus. That evening featured a sweet Jam and sing-along with members of the BGB orchestra and Getty, a local musician who not only jammed with us, but offered the music from his band for the documentary and also gave us his waste fry oil from last Christmas. Thanks, Getty.

Day 2: Sunday
Our spectacular performance on Saturday landed us in the A bracket for Sunday with some pretty stiff competition. Our first game would be against MoHo, the Seattle Junior team. They were very tight and ridiculously athletic young men and women and our “wiley veteranness” was not enough to pull out a victory(15-12, MoHo). After the game, we taught them “Wah!” and “Bibbity Bibbity Bop” and played for quite some time. Our next game would be against “Fisher-Price” a team consisting of some nasty Canadian players including at least one ridiculously tall guy who played for Canada. They dominated the game and though we had fun, they took it 15-9. The gave us a watermelon as a gift, but I think it had been sitting in the sun for too long as it smelled kinda funny. Doug and Cliff seemed to like it though. Our final game would be vs. the “Hellfish” and their Saloon. These were true wiley veterans and we were exhausted and demoralized. Another fun game but they took it 15-6. They then invited us into the Saloon and gave Rain a haircut, Crank a manicure and all of us beverages on ice.

That evening would be the Potlatch party, a memorable experience for all. In exchange for free entry to the tournament, our cash-strapped team agreed to work the party. This meant cooking 800 lbs of Salmon for about 5 hours, then cleaning up the mess from a raging party from midnight until 1:30. Tired, but every enthusiastic, the Big Green Bus rallied and engaged in burning lemon fights, samurai spatula activities and tray monkeying until almost 11 PM. We then wandered around in a daze for an hour before pillaging the party for all of its bread, tomatoes, cookies and a 50 lb. Box of fresh Alaskan Salmon which went immediately to the fridge at the Titcomb lakehouse. 15 tired bussers and a very much appreciated Sasha Rodgers and Alex Price hit the sack that night like a tonne of bricks. Thanks to the tournament directors for being supportive, positive and allowing us to play for free (and also for the free discs and shirts which followed the next day).

Day 3: Independence Day
15 tired bussers awoke to play “Brown Trout”, a group dressed as young girl scouts. We were seeded in the D bracket, 4th set of 16 teams out of just over 100. We would be battling for final place between 48th and 64th. They played hard and defeated us 15-10 and then made us earn merit badges before giving us our brownies. This led to us being in the bottom half of the bracket, so battling for 56th. We next played “Three Blind Mice”, a sweet team that we hucked it on all day. Our longs were bombproof and we took it 14-7. The next team we were scheduled to play had people leaving for the airport as did we, so we played them early and took “PotchLenny’s” 15-6. We then drove Haley to the airport (sniff… bye Haley!!) and cleaned up camp. The finals were amazing to watch; seeing “Toque” (Team Canada) take on “Vagabond” was a lot of fun. High level ultimate is an awesome spectator sport, highly recommended. We then goofed off on the fields playing “Rolling Rock” and wiffleball until we loaded up and headed to Lake Sammamish.

Potlatch was everything we wanted it to be. The weather was good, the people were interesting, the teams were hilarious and the gifts were delightful. Thank you NW Disc Association for one of the greatest experiences of our lives.

- Rory
July 1 2005

A long and harrowing drive finally allowed us to escape from scenic, albeit remote, Moose Jaw Saskatchewan.

Our dear friend Merv at Southern Semi Truck Shop finished up work on the BGB midday on Thursday and after picking up some grease from Boston Pizza we were on our way. It was a beautiful 25 hour drive from Saskatchewan to Redmond, Washington over the Canadian Rockies and the Cascade Mountains (which the BGB negoiated well with her two new pistons).

Sleeping and driving in shifts, we made it across Saskatchewan into Alberta and then down to cross the border into Idaho. The American border patrollers were much nicer than the Canadian customs people we met earlier, although we were forced to eat all of our grapes before entering the United States (apparently Canadian grapes are a serious threat to national security as stated under Section I, paragraph 23, line 16 of The Patriot Act).

Once back on American soil we rolled on towards the Pacific, fighting against time to make it to Potlatch. We arrived that the fields Friday night at around 9:00 pm and were greeted by hordes of camping, BBQing, and chilling ultimate players who had already set up a huge perimeter of tents surrounding the 30 acres of ultimate fields. We chatted with ultimate players from all over the world and gave a few quick tours of the bus before hitting the sack. A little sleep after 25 hours of driving before a three day tournament isn't asking too much.