This is an opportunity to look at your site as a whole and plan out your content needs.
Below you can see what is referred to as a site map. This is a diagram of the sections/content your default website contains. The default sites are configured to be used as research group sites, but they can be modified to fit your needs.
By clicking on the section names below, you will see detailed suggestions of the content that can be placed in each section. Again, these suggestions relate specifically to research group sites. It is up to you to choose to use some, all, or none of these sections. Sections may be added, removed, or simply renamed to suit your group's needs.
It may be useful to print out the site map (or make your own) to refer to as you browse the information below. It will be to your benefit to have a very clear idea of what sections, pages, and content you will be including in your site, especially if any of those choices vary greatly from the template's default. While Adobe Contribute makes it very easy for a person without any knowledge of HTML/CSS to edit these sites, the program still requires you to maintain the organization of the pages and their corresponding links manually. Planning now will save you time as you customize.
Once you feel like you have a solid sense of the sections and pages, as well as the interconnectivity between them, that your site will need, please proceed to Step 04: Editing
Sections / Content
While the templates can accommodate any content you require, you might consider including the following:
All pages will contain
- The standard header with the Thayer School Logo and links to the Thayer School and Dartmouth homepages
- A global navigation menu on the left side of the page
- A fluid width area for your content to the right of the navigation
- A standard footer with the contact info for Thayer School
All pages may contain
- Sub-navigation, which links to detail pages directly below a corresponding global navigation menu item
- Related links navigation below the global navigation menu, which may link to other pages within the site or other websites
- One-column or two-column content layouts
- Any content type regardless of where it is represented by the default templates
- Short overview/introduction to your group
- Highlights — recent news, quotes, upcoming events, items of interest, quick facts, or highlights that link to specific content within the site
- Group shot, candid photo, or Thayer image
- Individual group logos in conjunction with the Thayer logo/page title
- Short overview/introduction for all the group's projects
- Updates on specific projects
- Links to an unlimited number of project description detail pages
- Cross-linking between pages of the site — galleries, events, resources, people, etc.
- Short bio/introduction for all group members, faculty, visiting faculty, research associates, etc.
- A listing of past members
- A group photo, or individual member photos
- Contact info for members, links to any members' personal website
- Links to an unlimited number of member detail pages
- Publications organized by any means needed — chronologically, alphabetically, by member, etc.
- Books — can include synopsis, excerpts, reviews, downloads, book cover image, link to purchase, etc.
- Journal/Magazine Articles — can include summaries, links to externally hosted articles, downloads, or provide full text of articles by utilizing unlimited detail pages
- Links to an archive of older articles
- Upcoming events listings with links to Thayer School/Dartmouth events calendar, event-specific web pages, or detail pages
- Downloads, photos, directions, ticket info, etc. for upcoming events
- Past events list or link to an archive
- Links to parent/sister projects, related research, professional societies, journals, etc.
- Reference information with links to external sites or detail pages
- Miscellaneous links
- An overview page containing thumbnail images, a description/introduction for each gallery, photo/video credits, etc.
- An unlimited number of project specific photos/video detail pages
- Contact information for the group