Thayer School of Engineering
Shells of webpages, called "templates," have been created to enable Thayer groups and individuals to build customized websites.
These websites will allow, for example, research groups to showcase their work and research in more detail than can be shown on Thayer's main website. The instructions in this guide will walk you through the process of using the templates to create your personalized website.
Below you will find an general overview of how to use the templates. Begin by reading the instructions and becoming familiar with the whole process. They will guide you through choosing the style of your template, understanding the structure of the site, and using Adobe Contribute in specific ways to create the various content and style types present in these templates. It is suggested that you fully read through these instructions before beginning.
The templates have been designed to:
- be used by anyone, regardless of their knowledge of HTML/CSS, through the use of the web editor Adobe Contribute
- accommodate your needs flexibly, displaying small or large volumes of content efficiently
- accommodate various types of content (text, links, photos, downloads, video clips, etc.)
- allow you to customize the structure of your site (navigation and number of pages) to best fit your needs
- allow those who do have knowledge of HTML/CSS to further stylize the appearance (colors and fonts) of their site.
Using the templates:
Step 1: Overview
Familiarize yourself with the purpose of these templates.
Step 2: Styles
Browse the various template designs available for you to use.
Step 3: Sitemap
Understand the default structure of the site and allow you to decide on the content you wish to include on each page. At this stage you can determine how your needs vary from the default option presented by these templates.
Step 4: Editing
At this point you are ready to begin using Adobe Contribute to edit the templates and add your content to the site. The areas covered here help you create some of the more specific content types and styles that these templates have to offer.
Step 5: Thayer Imagery
Here you will find a selection of stock Thayer imagery that you are welcome to use to add further style to your site.
Go ahead and proceed to Step 02: Styles