Enhance your career as a Lean Six Sigma professional through one of our three levels of certification:
- Yellow Belt (in-person and online)
- Green Belt (in-person and online)
- Black Belt (in-person and online)
This interactive workshop introduces front-line employees to quality improvement techniques.
- In-person workshop: This 1-day workshop is held on the Dartmouth College campus.
- Live online workshop: This workshop consists of a 1-day session. You will be live online with an experienced industry instructor for all the sessions and you will be able to ask questions directly to the instructor.
Participants learn to use a variety of Lean improvement and Six Sigma quality tools under a DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) framework. With Yellow Belt certification, you will add value to any team that aims to improve its company's process. Yellow Belt certification is awarded upon workshop completion.
Green Belt (In-Person and Online)
The Green Belt workshop is offered as a scheduled, in-person workshop and also in an online format:
- In-person workshop: This 5-day workshop is held on the Dartmouth College campus.
- Live online workshop: This workshop consists of 10 half-day sessions (2 sessions per week for 5 weeks). You will be live online with an experienced industry instructor for all the sessions and you will be able to ask questions directly to the instructor.
This hands-on workshop is designed for Lean Six Sigma project team members. Participants will become familiar with basic Lean and Six Sigma tools within the context of the DMAIC methodology. Core workshops offer statistical analysis package training (MINITAB or JMP) to conduct and analyze various outputs stemming from experiments in the measurement phase (Statistical Process Control) and the analysis phase (Design of Experiments) in a well-designed Lean Six Sigma project.
Familiarity with college math and statistics will help students adjust to the rigorous work that the course entails. A laptop will be needed for this workshop; participants are required to download at least the trial copy of a statistical analysis package.
To maintain the high standards of Dartmouth Engineering, we require testing at the Green Belt level before granting certification. An open-notes exam must be completed within 5 days of the last session to be eligible for the Green Belt certificate. The exam is designed to help verify your newly gained knowledge and a score of 70% or greater is necessary to pass the test.
With Green Belt certification, you will be able to manage root cause analysis, process mapping, and a variety of useful process calculations, making an invaluable member of any Lean Six Sigma project team.
Black Belt (In-Person and Online)
The Black Belt workshop is offered as a scheduled, in-person workshop and also in an online format:
- In-person workshop: This 9-day workshop is held on the Dartmouth College campus, and is followed by a Black Belt project.
- Live online workshop: This workshop consists of 20 half-day sessions (2 sessions per week for 10 weeks). You will be live online with an experienced industry instructor for all the sessions and you will be able to ask questions directly to the instructor. The workshop is followed by a Black Belt project.
This workshop is designed for Lean Six Sigma team leaders and expands upon the skill set taught in the Green Belt certification. The coursework includes instruction on modules in practical DMAIC applications, Failure Mode Effects Analysis, Advanced Lean, Advanced DOE, SPC for non-normal distributions, Optimization, Scheduling & Sequencing, Effective and Efficient teamwork strategies as well as a variety of other tools and analysis methodologies. As with each of our workshops, we offer case-based exercises to enhance learning.
A laptop with a functional copy of a statistical analysis package, such as MINITAB, will be needed for this workshop. A final examination will measure your grasp of the theory necessary to be a successful Black Belt. An open-book and open-notes test is held at the culmination of this workshop, where a score of 70% or greater is required to pass the test. Black Belt certification is conferred upon successful completion of this exam and satisfactory review of your Black Belt project by the Lean Six Sigma workshop faculty.
The Black Belt workshop includes two case studies. Participants choose two of the case studies below, which must be completed within 5 days of the last class. Participants should be working on the case study as the workshop progresses. Completed case studies should be emailed to the assigned instructor. Participants will be asked to continue to work on the case study until they have the correct answers or have made progress to the satisfaction of the assigned instructor.
Those who do not return the case studies within 5 business days of the last class will not be eligible for the LSS Black Belt Certificate (NO EXCEPTIONS).
The sample case studies will be provided by Dartmouth and participants can select two of the following verticals:
Each case study will take approximately 10 days to complete.
Participants must have completed or been exempted from the Green Belt program before taking this workshop.