Therapy monitoring is an important emerging application of imaging modalities. These and other current research topics include:
- near-infrared imaging of brain tissue;
- near-infrared spectroscopy for diagnosing peripheral vascular disease;
- electrical impedance spectroscopy for radiation therapy monitoring;
- magnetic resonance elastography for detecting brain or prostate lesions; to follow the progression of diabetic damage in the foot; and to answer basic questions of wave propagation in tissue;
- microwave imaging spectroscopy for hyperthermia therapy monitoring, brain imaging, and detection of early-stage osteoporosis;
- electrical impedance tomography for monitoring traumatic brain injury progression and therapy.