Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineeringzi.firstname.lastname@example.org
- BS, Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai JiaoTong University 2002
- BS, Computer Technology and Applications, Shanghai JiaoTong University 2003
- MS, Materials Physics and Chemistry, Shanghai JiaoTong University 2005
- PhD, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University 2012
Mechanical instabilities of thin structures; origami structures; energy harvesting devices; stretchable electronics; biomimetic materials/devices; nanofabrication; mechanics of morphogenesis; cell biomechanics; mechanics of DNA structures
Current Research Projects
- Biomechanics of Venus flytrap’s rapid motion
- Epithelial layer jamming in collective cancer cell migration
- Mechanical self-assembly and multistability in thin structures
- Mechanics of morphogenesis in embryonic development
- Zi Chen,^ Xiaomin Han, Huang Zheng. Residual stresses and Poisson's effect drive shape formation and transition of helical structures, Journal of Elasticity, 119(1): 321-333, 2015.
- Q. Guo,* E. Dai,* X. Han,* S. Xie, E. Chao, and Z. Chen,^ Fast nastic motion of plants and bio-inspired structures, Journal of The Royal Society Interface, 12: 20150598, 2015. (Featured cover article.)
- Zi Chen.^ Shape Transition and Multi-stability of Helical Ribbons: a Finite Element Method Study, Archive of Applied Mechanics, 85: 331-338, 2015.
- Qiaohang Guo,*^ Zi Chen,*^ Wei Li, Pingqiang Dai, Kun Ren, Junjie Lin, Larry A. Taber, and Wenzhe Chen. Mechanics of Geometric Frustration in Helical Biomimetc Seashells, Europhyics Letters, 105: 64005, 2014. (Selected as EPL Highlights of 2014.)
- Zi Chen.^ Geometric Nonlinearity and Mechanical Anisotropy in Strained Helical Nanoribbons, Nanoscale, 6: 9443-9447, 2014.
- Qiaohang Guo,* Anil K. Mehta, Martha A. Grover, Wenzhe Chen, David G. Lynn, Zi Chen.*^ Shape selection and instability in helical ribbons, arXiv:1312.3571, Applied Physics Letters, 104, 211901, 2014 (featured on the cover).
- Qiaohang Guo,* Huang Zheng,* Wenzhe Chen, and Zi Chen.*^ Modeling Bistable Behaviors in Morphing Structures through Finite Element Simulations. Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering 24:557-562, 2014.
- Wanliang Shan, Zi Chen, Chase P. Broedersz, Ankita A. Gumaste, Winston O. Soboyejo, and Clifford P. Brangwynne. Attenuated short wavelength buckling and force propagation in a biopolymer-reinforced rod, Soft Matter 9, 194-199, 2013.
- Wanliang Shan^ and Zi Chen.^ Large Deformation and Mechanical Instability of Elastic Rods. Journal of Postdoctoral Research, 1(2): 1, 2013 (invited review).
- Matthew A. Wyczalkowski,* Zi Chen,*^ Benjamen Filas, Victor Varner, and Larry A. Taber. Computational Models for Mechanics of Morphogenesis, Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today, 96: 132-152, 2012. Editor’s choice on the Cover (invited review).
- Zi Chen,^ Qiaohang Guo, Carmel Majidi, Wenzhe Chen, David. J. Srolovitz, and Mikko Haataja. Nonlinear geometric effects in mechanical bistable morphing structures, Physical Review Letters, 109, 114302, 2012.
- Zi Chen, Carmel Majidi, David. J. Srolovitz, and Mikko Haataja. Tunable helical ribbons, Applied Physics Letters, 98: 011906, 2011.
(*equal contribution; ^corresponding author)
- Society in Science - Branco Weiss fellowship, 2012-2017
- Outstanding Paper Award, ASME 2nd Global Congress on NanoEngineering for Medicine and Biology, 2013
- Young Investigator Award (co-PI), National Science Foundation of China, 2012-2015
- American Academy of Mechanics Founder's Award, 2012
- Silver Medal, Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award, 2012
- Fellowship, NSF-GEM4 Summer School, 2012
- FGSA Travel Award for Excellence in Graduate Research from American Physical Society, Forum on Graduate Student Affairs, 2012
- Sigma Xi GIAR (Grant-in-aid of Research) Award, 2011
- Best Junior Researcher Award (2nd place), 140th TMS annual meeting, 2011
- Best Poster Presentation Award (1st place), Princeton Research Symposium, Princeton University, 2010
- Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, Princeton University, 2006-2007
- Sayre Graduate Prize, Princeton University, 2006
- Founding co-Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Postdoctoral Research, 2012–2014.
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Applied Mechanical Engineering, Journal of Material Science & Engineering , and Automatic Control of Physiological State and Function
- Referee: Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA, Applied Physics Letters, Soft Matter, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Journal of Royal Society Interface, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Journal of Mechanics, and Europhysics Letters
- Conference Technology Program Committee: 3rd International Conference on Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology (ICBEB), 2014.
- Conference chairing: Society of Engineering Sciences (SES) annual meeting 2012, Americal Physical Society March meeting 2013, Society for Engineering Sciences meeting 2013, ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition.
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Member, Society in Science
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Member, Mineral, Metals &Materials Society (TMS)
- Member, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Member, Sigma-Xi, the Scientific Research Society