Mark E. Borsuk
Associate Professor of Engineering
Associate Professor of Engineering1-603-646-9944
- B.S.E., Civil Engineering and Operations Research, Princeton University 1995
- M.S., Statistics and Decisions Sciences, Duke University 2001
- Ph.D., Environmental Science and Policy, Duke University 2001
Decision theory; integrated systems modeling and management; Bayesian statistics, uncertainty analysis; risk assessment; valuation methods; imprecise probabilities; sustainability science
Current Research Projects
- Applied robust Bayesian analysis
- Bayesian networks of society-environment interactions
- Decision analytic evaluation of emerging technologies
- Linking predictive climate models to economic assessments under conditions of uncertainty
- Representation of model inputs and parameters using stochastic, time-dependent parameters
- Social and biological indicators of sustainability
- ENGS 41: Sustainability and Natural Resource Management
- ENGG 177: Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Ding, P., M. D. Gerst, A. Bernstein, R. B. Howarth, and M. E. Borsuk. Rare disasters and risk attitudes: International differences and implications for integrated assessment modeling. Risk Analysis. In press.
- Gerst, M. D., P. Wang, and M. E. Borsuk. Discovering plausible energy and economic futures under global change using multidimensional scenario discovery. Environmental Modelling & Software. In press.
- Gerst, M. D., P. Wang, A. Roventini, G. Dosi, R. B. Howarth, and M. E. Borsuk. Agent-based modeling of climate policy: An introduction to the ENGAGE multi-level model framework. Environmental Modelling & Software. In press.
- Tomassini, L., R. Knutti, G.-K. Plattner, D. van Vuuren, T. F. Stocker, R. B. Howarth, and M. E. Borsuk. 2010. Uncertainty and risk in climate projections for the 21st century: comparing mitigation to non-intervention scenarios. Climatic Change 103: 399–422.
- Gronewold, A.D. and M. E. Borsuk. 2010. Improving water quality assessments through a hierarchical Bayesian analysis of variability. Environmental Science & Technology 4: 7858–7864.
- Turaga, R. M. R., R. B. Howarth, and M. E. Borsuk. 2010. Pro-environmental behavior: Rational choice meets moral motivation. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1185: 211-224.
- Gerst, M. D., R. B. Howarth, M.E. Borsuk. 2010. Accounting for the risk of extreme outcomes in an integrated assessment of climate change. Energy Policy 38: 4540–4548.
- Tomassini, L., P. Reichert, H.-R. Künsch, C. Buser, and M. E. Borsuk. 2009. A smoothing algorithm for estimating stochastic, continuous-time parameters and an application to a simple climate model. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series C: Applied Statistics 58: 679-704.
- Chauncey Starr Distinguished Young Risk Analyst Award, Society for Risk Analysis, 2013
- Excellence in Mentoring Award, Dartmouth Postdoctoral Association, 2010
- Early Career Research Excellence Prize, International Environmental Modelling and Software Society, 2008
- Best Paper in Integrated Modelling, Environmental Modelling and Software, 2008
- Operations Research, Associate Editor of Environment, Energy and Natural Resources
- Environmental Modelling & Software, Editorial Board
- Reviewer for: Environmental Science & Technology, Water Resources Research, Water Research, Ecological Modelling, Environmental Management, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Estuaries, Decision Analysis, Risk Analysis, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Ecosystems, Limnology & Oceanography
Report: Cancer Cases Avoidable If Well Owners Test For Arsenic
October 9, 2014
New Hampshire report stresses arsenic danger
October 9, 2014
Students Awarded Dartmouth Engineering Fellowships
July 11, 2014
50,000 N.H. Wells At Risk Of High Arsenic, Negative Health Impacts
June 19, 2014
State, feds team up with Dartmouth on water survey
June 7, 2014
Boosted by grants, researchers study arsenic testing in wells
May 13, 2014
Dartmouth Engineering Professor Receives Risk Analyst Award
December 10, 2013
DMS lands grant for regional biomedical research center
Dartmouth Medical School
August 22, 2011
Dartmouth College Receives Grant for Collaborating to Sustain the Planet
February 25, 2008
Crossing disciplines to address mercury pollution
December 18, 2007
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
The Business Case for Sustainability
The New Guard
Faculty: Thayer Gains Five New Professors
Seminar: Gambling the Globe: Risk, Decision-Making, and Climate Change