John X.J. Zhang
Professor of Engineering
Professor of Engineering1-603-646-8787
- BS, Shanghai Jiao-Tong University 1995
- MS, electrical engineering, U Maine at Orono 1998
- PhD, electrical engineering, Stanford University 2004
- Research Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology 2005
Miniature imaging and biosensing systems; bio-inspired nanomaterials; lab-on-chip design; advanced nanofabrication technologies; multi-scale modeling of fundamental force, flow, and energy processes in biological interactions
- ENGS 22: Systems
- K. Hoshino, G. Behave, E. Ng, X.J. Zhang, "Micro Patterned Quantum Dots Excitation and Imaging for Cellular Microarray Screening," Sensors and Actuators A, 216, 301-307, 2014.
- Y. Wang, N. Triesault, D.Y. Gokdel, L. Wang, Y.Y. Huang, and X.J. Zhang, "Magnetic actuated stainless steel scanner for two photon imaging based circulating tumor cell screening," Journal of Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems, DOI 10.1109, 2014.
- P. Chen, Y.-Y. Huang, K. Hoshino, C.-H. Wu, K.V. Sokolov, X.J. Zhang, "Multiscale immunomagnetic enrichment of circulating tumor cells: from tubes to microchips," Lab on a Chip, 14, 446-458, 2014 (Critical Review)
- K. Hoshino, P. Joshi, G. Bhave, K. Sokolov, and X.J. Zhang, "Use of colloidal quantum dots as a digitally switched swept light source for gold nanoparticle based hyperspectral microscopy," Biomedical Optics Express, Vol. 5, Issue 5, pp. 1610-1615, 2014.
- L. Wang, Y. Wang, and X.J. Zhang, "Embedded metallic focus grating and photonic crystal based lambda/4 nano-slot for subwavelength near-field light confinement," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 20,3, 2014.
- Y. Song, Y. Huang, X. Liu, X.J. Zhang, M. Ferrari, L. Qin, "Point-of-care technologies for molecular diagnostics using a drop of blood," Trends in Biotechnology, review for special issue on “Blood”, 32, 3, p132-139, 2014 (invited review).
- S. Bish, M. Sharma, Y. Wang, N. Triesault, J. Reichenberg, X.J. Zhang, J.W. Tunnell, "Handheld diffuse reflection spectral imaging (DRSi) for in-vivo characterization of skin," Biomedical Optics Express, 5, 2, pp. 573-586, 2014.
- C.-H. Wu, Y.-Y. Huang, K. Hoshino, P. Chen, H. Liu, E.P. Frenkel, X.J. Zhang, K.V. Sokolov, "Versatile immunomagnetic nanocarrier platform for capturing cancer cells," ACS Nano, 7(10), 8816-8823, 2013.
- Z.X. Wang, D. Fine, H. Wu, J. Schmulen, Y. Hu, B. Godin, X.J. Zhang, and X. Liu, "Ciliated micropillars for the microfluidic-based isolation of nanoscale lipid vesicles," Lab on a Chip, 13, 2879-2882, 2013.
- Y.Y. Huang, K. Hoshino, P. Chen, C. Wu, N. Lane, M. Huebschman, K. Sokolov, J.W. Uhr, E.P. Frenkel and X.J. Zhang, "Immunomagnetic Nanoscreening of Circulating Tumor Cells with a Motion Controlled Microfluidic System," Biomedical Microdevices, 15(4):673-81, 2013.
- T. Sharma, K. Aroom, S. Naik, B. Gill, and X.J. Zhang, "Flexible Thin-Film PVDF-TrFE Based Pressure Sensor for Smart Catheter Applications," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 41(4): 744-51, 2013.
- Y. Lee, K. Hoshino, A. Alu and X.J. Zhang, "Tunable directive radiation using surface-plasmon diffraction gratings," Optics Express, 21, 3, 2748-2756, 2013.
John X.J. Zhang, Kazunori Hoshino
- National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers of Engineering Program (FOE 2011, FOEE 2012, US-China FOE, 2013)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2010
- NSF CAREER Award, 2009
- British Council Early Career RXP Award, 2008
- Wallace H. Coulter Foundation Early Career Award in Biomedical Engineering, 2006
- Handheld imaging probe (8,767,279)
- Forward-imaging optical coherence tomography (OCT) systems and probes (8,531,676)
- Optically-implemented microsurgery system and approach (8,505,544)
- Uniform transfer of luminescent quantum dots onto a substrate (8,193,010)
- Near-field scanning optical microscope probe having a light emitting diode (7,621,964)
- Mechanically tunable optical-encoded force sensor (7,594,443)
- Co-founder & Scientific Advisor, NanoLite Systems
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Member
- American Physical Society (APS), Member
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), Member
- Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), Member
- IEEE, Senior Member
- Materials Research Society (MRS), Member
- Optical Society of America (OSA), Member
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
Faculty: New Profs
Seminar: Engineering Biology and Medicine at Small Scales: From Cell Manipulation, Molecular Screening to Early Cancer Detection