Assistant Professor of Engineering
Assistant Professor of Engineering1-603-646-6656
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, CMU 2001
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, MIT 2006
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, MIT 2010
Fluid mechanics as related to wind and wave energy; aeromechanical simulation and modeling; propeller design; analysis and optimization of wind turbine systems.
Current Research Projects
- T. Truscott, B. Epps, and A. Techet, “Unsteady forces on spheres during free-surface water entry,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012).
- B. Epps, O. V ́ıquez, and C. Chryssostomidis, “Dual-operating-point blade optimization for high-speed propellers,” 11th International Conference on Fast Sea Transportation (FAST 2011), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, September 2011.
- C. Chryssostomidis, X. Luo, B. Epps, G. Karniadakis, “Comparison of turbulence models of simulating flow in waterjets,” FAST 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, September 2011.
- B. Epps, T. Truscott, and A. Techet, “Evaluating derivatives of experimental data using smoothing splines,” Mathematical Methods in Engineering International Symposium, Coimbra, Portugal, October 2010.
- B. Epps, J. Ketcham, and C. Chryssostomidis, “Propeller blade stress estimates using lifting line theory,” Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation, Ottawa, Canada, July 2010.
- B. Epps and A. Techet, “An error threshold criterion for singular value decomposition modes extracted from PIV data,” Experiments in Fluids (2010) 48:355-367.
- B. Epps, M. Stanway, and R. Kimball, “OpenProp: an open-source design tool for propellers and turbines,” SNAME Propellers and Shafting, Williamsburg, VA, September 2009.
- B. Epps, P. Valdivia, K. Youcef-Toumi, and A. Techet, “Swimming performance of a biomimetic compliant fish-like robot,” Experiments in Fluids (2009) 47:927-939.
- B. Epps and A. Techet, “Impulse generated during unsteady maneuvering of swimming fish,” Experiments in Fluids (2007) 43:691-700.
- G. Sinclair and B. Epps, “On the logarithmic stress singularities induced by the use of displacement shape functions in boundary conditions in submodelling,” Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering (2002) 18:121-130.
- Wunsch Foundation Outstanding Teaching Award, 2009
- Link Foundation Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2007
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME)
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member, American Physical Society - Division of Fluid Dynamics (APS DFD)
- Technical Editor, "Principles of Naval Architecture: Propulsion," SNAME 2010
A Conversation with Assistant Professor Brenden Epps
December 14, 2012
In Dartmouth Engineer Magazine
Welcome: New Prof and Overseer
Seminar: Rapid Aeromechanical Design of Marine Propellers and Wind Turbines