Part with Circular Pocket
For milling operations follow these steps:
- Make sure the Mill is in clean condition and ready for use. Follow the Maintenance and Cleaning Steps taped on the side of each mill in the Machine Shop.
- Obtain a 3”x 4.125”x .5” Aluminum 6061 stock, or a larger size stock.
- Place 1/8” X 1 ½” X 6” parallels on vise and set piece on top oriented as shown on part diagram. Ensure at least half the height of piece is exposed and remaining part is held by vise. About 0.25” of part should stick out from the side of the vice.
- Load 1/2” 2 - Flute End Mill and climb mill 0.03” from side sticking out.
- Turn part and climb mill opposite side to dimension part. Note: Consult TA or instructor before conducting both operations.
- Load Edge Finder and set origin on UPPER left corner of the piece.
- Setting the tool parameters:
- MODE – SET UP – TOOL TABLE
- Since the program will be set to run with tool #1, scroll using DATA UP or DATA DOWN to get to tool #1.
- Type 0.5 then press ABS SET.
- Type 4 for Finish End Mill and press ABS SET
- Return to DRO and load the 2-Flute 1/2” End Mill.’
- Set Z origin on the top surface of the part by touching off the base of the tool against the surface and type Z = 0 then press ABS SET.
8. Erase old program:
- Press MODE – EDIT – ERASE PROG- YES
9. Confirm mill is set to 2 axis mode. If in 3 axis, press SYS – GO TO 2 AXIS – MODE
10. Programming the single mill pocket event:
- PROG – GO TO BEGIN – POCKET – CIRCLE PCKT
- For “X Center”, type 2.0 and press ABS SET
- For “Y Center”, type -1.5 and press ABS SET
- For “Radius”, type 0.75 and press ABS SET
- For “Direction”, type 2 for counterclockwise and press ABS SET
- For “Fin Cut”, type 0.010 then press ABS SET
- For “RPM” type 2000 and press ABS SET
- For “Fin RPM”, type 2200 and press ABS SET
- For “Feedrate”, type 5 and press ABS SET
- For “Fin Feedrate”, type 3 and press ABS SET. Note:These speeds and feedrates are examples only. Consult a machine shop TA or instructor for confirmation.
- For “Tool #”, type 1 then press ABS SET
- Press LOOK to confirm profile
11. Checking tool path exists:
- MODE – SET UP- TOOL PATH Note: Consult a TA or instructor if an error message appears
12. Conducting a trial run: (Note: The spindle must be retracted from the part surface before carrying out the trial run)
- Close guard doors
- Press MODE – RUN – TRIAL RUN – GO
- Ensure machine follows correct tool path
13. Running the program:
- Close guard doors
- MODE – RUN – START - GO
- Load the 2-Flute 1/2” End Mill
- Start the spindle, adjust the air then press GO for “CNC RUN”. Note: Pressing TRACKING overrides automated control, enabling user to mill manually by turning the electronic hand wheels.
- When prompted to SET Z, move the spindle down to z = -0.125” and lock the quill.
- Press GO to run the program.
- When finished raise the spindle when program prompted to CHECK Z, then press GO.
- Rerun the program and move spindle down to Z =-0.25” when prompted to SET Z.
- Turn off spindle and air then inspect part
- Unclamp part and use a Deburring Tool to remove burrs from machined edges. Your part is ready for inspection.