Mission & Goals
Thayer School’s Machine Shop is an instructional workshop serving students, researchers, and faculty. Teaching is our mission. We don’t make things. We make engineers.
- Creating outstanding engineering workshops that support lecture topics.
- Revealing the power of our workshops to make fantastic products.
- Making our engineers comfortable, competent, and safe in a workshop environment.
- Instructors are professional in appearance and demeanor.
- Interpersonal relationships are collegial, respectful, and friendly.
- Teaching takes many forms, including managing student design teams, providing opportunities for practicing skills, and training a student staff.
- Collaborative and non-competitive, we share information.
- Interdisciplinary, we draw useful skills from diverse fields.
- We serve clients and measure our performance from their perspective.
- Cross-functional, all of us do all jobs and work all shifts.
- Everyone is responsible for safety in the workshops.
- We embrace 5S principles of tidiness and workplace standardization.
- We arrange our workspaces to promote ease of use, with instructional materials displayed at each site and additional training tutorials available online.