Solid State Microfabrication Laboratory Equipment
The Solid State Microfabrication Laboratory is a
(lithography/general processing) cleanroom laboratory. Currently funded
research includes applications in microelectronics, micromachining, and optics.
Specific equipment available for microfabrication includes:
LABORATORY AND SERVICES:
- Class 1000 general processing area (600 sq. ft.);
- Class 100lithography processing area (250 sq. ft.)
- Deionized water system (18 Meg-ohm)
- Process gasses (UPC grade)
- Gowning room and service corridor
WET CHEMICAL PROCESSING:
Three laminar flow fume hoods (Class 100) for:
Mask aligner for contact printing (Karl Suss MJB UV-400)
- e-beam direct write capability (Zeiss DSM 962 scanning electron microscope
with control for direct write)
spin and develop station (Headway).
- Photo-resist bake ovens (Blue M)
PROCESSING and FILM DEPOSITION:
- Ellipsometer for thin film thickness measurements; includes dual laser
wavelengths, multiple angle, and computer control (Gaertner)
- Surface profilometer (Tencor alpha-step 100) with GLX data logger
- Scanning electron microscope with EDS microanalysis (Zeiss)
- Scanning electron microscope with low vacuum environmental chamber(JOEL).
- Atomic Force Microscope and Scanning Kelvin Probe Microscope (IBM
- Computer controlled measurement system including:
- DC semiconductor parameter analyzer (HP 4142).
- Picoammeter and current source, for quasi-static CV measurements (HP 4140).
- LCR meter, for high-frequency CV measurements (HP).
- S-parameter network analyzer (to 3GHz) (HP).
- Programmable pulse generator (Tektronix).
- Micromanipulator probe station.
- Variable temperature step and repeat automatic probe station (Xynetics
- Low temperature microprobe (four probes down to ~76K) (MMR).
DESIGN, LAYOUT, and SIMULATION:
Project NORTHSTAR is campus-wide, centrally-administered network of over 250
engineering unix workstations for high-powered computing, design, and analysis.
NORTHSTAR provides the environment for doing computer aided design (CAD) and
simulation. In addition to the following standard CAD tools available on
NORTHSTAR, we have Auto-CAD(PC) and
L-Edit (on unix, PCs, and keyserved on Macintosh)
for micromachining layout.
- SUPREM-III and SUPREM-IV (fabrication process simulation)
FLOOPS (fabrication process simulation) (
- FLUENT (fluid mechanics)
- PISCES IIB (semiconductor device simulation)
- MAGIC (mask design and layout)
- L-Edit (mask design and layout)
ASSORTED OTHER EQUIPMENT: