High Temperature Superconductivity
The new ceramic high temperature superconductors, with transition
temperatures above the boiling point of liquid nitrogen, have
already resulted in the awarding of a Nobel Prize and an online news
and preprint service,
High Tc Update.
Another web site with information on high Tc materials and applications
Texas Center for Superconductivity.
They also publish an
introduction to High Tc.
There is also a brief
introduction to superconductivity and the theory of
High Tc at the University of Illinois (UIUC) site.
Students will fabricate samples of these materials from their consitiuents, and
test their properties as a function of composition, processing, etc...
Equipment available for this lab includes:
Other WEB Resources:
- Pellet press and Materials Testing System (MTS)
- Tube furnace (Thermolyne F21100 and others)
- Laser ablation for deposition of thin film superconductors
Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) (Zeiss model 962 with x-ray EDS analysis)
- Thayer Scanning Electron Microscope (JOEL JSM 5310 LV)
- X-ray diffraction (Seimens D5000)