Lynd Research Lab: Sustainable Bioenergy Futures
Professor Lynd and members of the Lynd group are active in envisioning sustainable bioenergy futures and paths to their realization. This activity encompasses aspects of feedstock supply, land use and intensification, environmental quality, and economic development.
Ten most recent papers:
- Dale B.E., J.E. Anderson, R.C. Brown, S. Csonka, V.H. Dale, G. Herwick, R.D. Jackson, N. Jordan, S. Kaffka, K.L. Kline, L.R. Lynd, C. Malmstrom, R.G. Ong, T.L. Richard, C. Taylor, M.Q. Wang. 2014. Take a Closer Look: Biofuels Can Support Environmental, Economic and Social Goals. Environ. Sci. Technol. 48:7200-7203. (Article)
- Laser, M., L.R. Lynd. 2014. Comparative efficiency and driving range of light- and heavy- duty vehicles powered with biomass energy stored in liquid fuels or batteries. PNAS. 111(9):3360-3364. (Abstract)
- Nair, S.S., S. Kang, X. Zhang, F.E . Miguez, R.C. Izaurralde W.M. Post, M.C. Dietze, L.R. Lynd and S.D. Wullschleger. 2012. Bioenergy crop models: descriptions, data requirements, and future challenges. GCB Bioenergy. 4(6):620-633. (Abstract)
- Lynd, L.R., and J. Woods. 2011. A new hope for Africa. Nature. 474:S20-S21. (Article)
- Lynd, L.R., R.A. Aziz, C. Henrique de Brito Cruz, A.F.A. Chimphango, L.A.B. Cortez, A. Faaij, N. Greene, M. Keller, P. Osseweijer, T.L. Richard, J. Sheehan, A. Chugh, L. van der Wielen, J. Woods and W. Heber van Zyl. 2011. A global conversation about energy from biomass: The continental conventions of the global sustainable bioenergy project. Interface Focus. 1:271-279. (Abstract)
- Lynd, L.R. and C. Henrique de Brito Cruz. 2010. Make way for ethanol. Science. 330:1176. (Article)
- Lynd, L.R. 2010. Bioenergy: In search of clarity. Energ. Environ. Sci. 3:1150-1152. (Abstract)
- Wullschleger, S.D., E.B. Davis, M.E. Borsuk, C.A. Gunderson, L.R. Lynd. 2010. Biomass production in switchgrass across the United States: Database description and determinants of yield. Agron. J. 102(4):1158-1168. (Abstract)
- Dale, B.E., L. Lynd. 2010. Global sustainable bioenergy project offers a new approach to key bioenergy issues. Biofuels, Bioprod. Biorefin. 4:8-11. (Abstract)
- Tilman, D., R. Socolow, J.A. Foley, J. Hill, E. Larson, L. Lynd, S. Pacala, J. Reilly, T. Searchinger, C. Somerville, R. Williams. 2009. Beneficial biofuels - the food, energy, and environment trilemma. Science. 325:270-271. (Article)
Selected additional papers:
- Lynd, L.R., E.D. Larson, N. Greene, M. Laser, J. Sheehan, B.E. Dale, S. McLaughlin, M. Wang. 2009. The role of biomass in America's energy future: Framing the analysis. Biofuels, Bioprod. Biorefin. 3:113-123. (Abstract)
- Sokhansanj, S., S. Mani, A. Turhollow, A. Kumar, D. Bransby, L. Lynd, M. Laser. 2009. Large-scale production, harvest and transport of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.) — current technology and envisioning a mature technology. Biofuels, Bioprod. Biorefin. 3:124-141. (Abstract)
- Laser, M., E. Larson, B. Dale, M. Wang, N. Greene, L.R. Lynd. 2009. Comparative analysis of efficiency, environmental impact, and process economics for mature biomass refining scenarios. Biofuels, Bioprod. Biorefin. 3:247-270. (Abstract)
- Lynd, L.R., M.S. Laser, D. Bransby, B.E. Dale, B. Davison, R. Hamilton, M. Himmel, M. Keller, J.D. McMillan, J. Sheehan, C.E. Wyman. 2008. How biotech can transform biofuels. Nat. Biotechnol. 26:169-172. (Abstract)
- Anex, R.P., L.R. Lynd, M.S. Laser, A.H. Heggenstaller, M. Liebman. 2007. Potential for enhanced nutrient cycling through coupling of agricultural and bioenergy systems. Crop Sci. 47:1327-1335. (Abstract)
- Lynd, L.R., M.S. Laser, J. McBride, K. Podkaminer, J. Hannon, 2007. Energy myth three - high land requirements and an unfavorable energy balance preclude biomass ethanol from playing a large role in providing energy services. p 75-101 In: B.K. Sovacol and M.A. Brown (eds.), Energy and American Society - Thirteen Myths. Springer. Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
- Greene, N., F.E. Celik, B. Dale, M. Jackson, K. Jayawardhana, H. Jin, E.D. Larson, M. Laser, L. Lynd, D. MacKenzie, J. Mark, J. McBride, S. McLaughlin, D. Saccardi. 2004. Growing energy. How biofuels can help end America's oil dependence. Natural Resources Defense Council, New York.