OpenProp is free software for the design and analysis of marine propellers and horizontal-axis turbines. This software is coded as a suite of MATLAB m-files, so it does require MATLAB. OpenProp can be run using a simple graphical user interface, via the MATLAB command line, or with a user-created script.
As of 2012, the OpenProp project has moved from MIT to the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College. The legacy OpenProp URL (http://openprop.mit.edu) now redirects to this webpage.
The current version can be downloaded here: OpenProp v3.3.4
- Lifting line design optimization for axial flow propellers and turbines
- Blade chord and thickness optimization
- Ducted rotor design and analysis
- Parametric design study capability, with analysis over the entire operating profile
- Analysis and prediction of performance curves for a given OpenProp optimized rotor design
- Analysis and prediction of performance curves for a given rotor geometry
- Blade cavitation analysis for any converged operating state
- Blade stress analysis for any converged operating state
- Geometry generation within MATLAB for visual inspection of preliminary blade design
- Geometry output for 3D modeling in SolidWorks and rapid prototyping (optionally using lifting-surface geometry corrections)