Questions to Ask Alumni
For Career Exploration Inquiries
- What projects or tasks are performed in a typical week in this job?
- What would be the top 5 skills needed to be a top performer in this job?
- What kind of credentials, education, training, prior experience are needed?
- How was your major related to your current work?
- What was your career path that led you to your current position?
- What was the most significant contributing experience/factor to your being in this type of work?
For Job Search Inquiries
- Which departments within your organization tend to hire (interns/entry-level)? Is there someone in these departments you would recommend I contact?
- What time of the year does your employer typically look for (interview) hires?
- What made you choose this employer?
- How would you describe the culture of the organization?
- Can you talk about the kinds of projects that new hires have worked on this year in your department?
- What type of professional development/ongoing training is available?
For Graduate School Inquiries
- How did you decide on this program and college/university?
- How competitive is the process of getting into the college/program you attended?
- How would you compare this program to other colleges of similar caliber?
- Which key qualities did this college/university look for in candidates?
- Did your Dartmouth education prepare you fully for applying to this program? How would you describe the faculty advising and mentoring that was available?