User Support Analyst
You: An inspired IT support professional who wants to help improve higher education, one educational success at a time. A seasoned veteran or an enthusiastic newcomer to the field.
Us: Thayer School of Engineering IT Department; so collaborative that we built this job description together.
What we do
Provide crazy good technology service and support: computing.thayer.dartmouth.edu
Help shape the future of teaching by empowering our community to use technology in innovative and creative ways.
Thayer School has a unique multidisciplinary approach to engineering education and our IT philosophy reflects this. Rather than just being back-room “crank turners”, our entire Computing Services team interacts extensively with faculty, students, staff, and researchers. We go out of our way to spend time with our users, deliberately encouraging community members (often with cookies) to ask questions, explain their needs, and brainstorm solutions with us.
We cheerfully work hard to solve problems, implement solutions, and allow Thayer School to make the fullest use of computing technology. We are committed and love a challenge.
How we do it
- LMS: Canvas (migrating from Blackboard)
- OS: OS X, Windows, Linux
- Shared apps, wikis, live class surveys, online quizzing, automated lecture capture, teaching analytics, always trying new services
What we expect, and what you can expect
- We’ll value your viewpoint and expect you to share it
- The skills and chops to help users learn our systems, surmount problems, and innovate new ways to teach with technology
- The desire and ability to quickly learn new and old technologies
- Full participation within a highly collaborative, agile team
- Lots of one on one interaction with our awesome faculty, staff, and students to find solutions and solve problems
- Documenting solutions for common issues
- Keeping up with the latest in tech and not being afraid of the bleeding edge
- Enthusiasm for higher education; yours, ours, and everyone else's
- Interest in instructional design and even better, experience doing instructional design
- Flexible and understanding management and policies
- Not in a basement, daylight will reach you
- Top-notch engineering happening all around you
- Thriving engineering school within a prestigious college
- Northern New England as your backyard
To apply for this opportunity please fill out this short form and provide your resume: